Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
caffeineaholic
AF Regular

Name the parts

1985 Caprice 305 4BBL Carb

Hi all, I have searched the forums as well as my shop manual without success.

In the first image I am pointing to something that connects to a port on my EGR (this whole assembly attaches to the engine near the distributor by the EGR valve). Is this some kind of servo that activates/deactivates the EGR? Or a sensor? Also (in the same image) What sensor is above where I am pointing? Is this the MAP (manifold vacuum) sensor? -- There is also another sensor like this that looks to be the exact same that sits on my passenger-side wheel well. Is the wheel-well mounted one the engine vacuum sensor? Does "manifold vacuum" mean "engine vacuum"? -- I am very confused... And of course the BARO sensor is in the car near the glove box I believe. Why are there three sensors total that can sense vacuum or air pressure? I thought only Barometric pressure and an Engine Vacuum sensor were needed for the ECM.

The next image shows some component that attaches near the heater core I think. Is this the fast-idle relay? (this is driving me crazy). (The big circle shows the component and the small shows a couple of the wires that go to it). I'm pretty sure that the A/C cut-off switch does not go to this component (which leads me to believe it is something else). I know a big-gauge red wire goes to it, a blue wire, brown wire, and two black wires and another color that I do not recall. The large red wire looks like it may lead to the firewall (then to the steering column I would guess?).

I appreciate your help and sorry for the long post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-06-09_1853 HALFX.jpg (79.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 04-03-10_1548 HALFX.jpg (87.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212
Re: Name the parts

#1. EGR solenoid.
#2. Blower motor relay.

The one on the wheel well is the BARO sensor, the one on the bracket in the picture is the MAP sensor.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
caffeineaholic
AF Regular

Re: Name the parts

Thanks silicon, would you happen to know where the fast-idle relay is?

Also, the one on the wheel well takes its reading from the lowest part on my carb. And the one (1st picture) with the EGR solenoid attached takes vacuum from the same bottom-part but the back side of the carb.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
egr , sensor , vacuum
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice