Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
skh711
AF Newbie

1980 Datsun 210

well while i do know a little bit of info on cars i do not know it all. but this is whats up....i blew out two spider gears and my pinion and ring gears in the differential of my 1980 Datsun 210. now i have to fix it. searching in junk yards has proved to be a crap shoot so far. it seems i cant find anything. maybe it is my lack of knowledge on what kind of differential is in my car? i know that it had 3.70 gears and that is about it. i need to know if someone here maybe knows what kind of diferential might fit this car. i have tried looking on the diff. and i cant get any info from it. please help if you can.
skh711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
dimefury
AF Regular

Re: 1980 Datsun 210

hi,
i don't know all of the specifics on that model/year, but i do know datsuns pretty well. i'll try my best to help you identify your differential. first, i need more information. . . . so some questions will follow.

we are talking about a rwd car and a rear diff, right?

do you have an independent rear suspension or solid axle?

from your description i am assuming that you have the diff out of the car and apart, do you, or could you do so?

if the diff is apart, can you measure the diameter of the ring gear? (in millimeters, ie 160mm, 180mm, etc.)

if you clean off the ring gear really good, you should be able to read some stampings on the outer edge, what does it read?

get back to me with more info, i'll see what i can do.
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
skh711
AF Newbie

yes it is a rwd car and it is the rear diff. it is solid axle and i do have the diff taken out of the car. i will take the diff apart and try to get what info i can for you. i think i may have found a whole new diff. for it though. one of my friends knows a guy that owns a junkyard that has a 1984 nissan 280z i believe it is called. he thinks the diff will fill fit in my car but he is not sure. so he is going to try and find out tonight for me. thanks for helping me.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
dimefury
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skh711
yes it is a rwd car and it is the rear diff. it is solid axle and i do have the diff taken out of the car. i will take the diff apart and try to get what info i can for you. i think i may have found a whole new diff. for it though. one of my friends knows a guy that owns a junkyard that has a 1984 nissan 280z i believe it is called. he thinks the diff will fill fit in my car but he is not sure. so he is going to try and find out tonight for me. thanks for helping me.
if your car is a solid axle type, a 84 280z diff will not work. sorry. all 240/260/280 z-cars have independent rear suspensions, they are equipped with fuji heavy industries r-180 and r-200 differentials. i think you should be looking more at 710's, early rwd 200sx's, datsun pickups, and 210's. i'll know more when get the rest of that info.

one more question, how many bolts hold on the rear cover on your diff? 8 or 10 or some other number?

here is alot of info on datsun rear diffs, you can probably find your answers here for yourself, if you have any more questions feel free to ask, or if this page doesn't help, let me know. glad to help.
http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsecti...id=30#identify
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
skh711
AF Newbie

i have 8 bolts that hold my diff. in after looking at the link you gave me i believe i have an h-165 diff. thanks alot i really appreciate it
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
blownb210
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skh711
i have 8 bolts that hold my diff. in after looking at the link you gave me i believe i have an h-165 diff. thanks alot i really appreciate it
An '80 210 has an H150 differential.

Mike
blownb210 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > General Discussion