Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
americanbulldog
AF Regular

a few ?s about running no muffler

hello,

i recently had a exhaust leak and the patch was coming off so i decided to take my muffler off before it fell off.and when i did it was much louder(good thing) also seemed to have way better mpg and much more power threw out all rpms.anyone else run this and how is it in the long run.and should i add a tail pipe cause as of now all i have is the cat and after that just that little foot long pipe.also the sound it not bad at all.i will post a video if anyone wants to here it

let me know if anyone else runs this or similar
americanbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
sparky11
AF Newbie

Re: a few ?s about running no muffler

i have an 03 s10 4.3l v6 and took the exhaust off to the cat and it decreased my mpg but it sounds good and i got a small hp gain
sparky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
americanbulldog
AF Regular

my sound is good also,but my mpg seem to have increased.
americanbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
b1lk1
AF Regular

If your MPG increased you probably had issues with a plugged muffler. If I were you, I'd look for a straight through muffler like a Cherry Bomb instead of none. You will get pretty much the same sound but you will also have a "muffler" in case some of the local law enforcement guru's take a peak wondering why your truck is so loud.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
aarons2000s102.2
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 s10 with the 2.2 4 banger.I cut the cat off because it was clogged and i got a lot more performance it seems like.better take off and spinns tires easyier .i love it.I just put a straight pipe in place of it.raced my friend with a v6 we pulled up to a light and he rolled the window down and said nice 4 banger. haha.I havent cheecked mpg though
aarons2000s102.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

tried that with my 95. i gained power in top end but lost it in the low. also mpg went down. installed a flowmaster 40 series. now i have the sound i want and i can push 23-25mpg out of it. but thats taking it easy. deffently still way more power then stock. the stock went from 2.5 out the cat to 2.25 at the muffler. now i have 2.5 inlet with 2.25 duel outlet. i used to run a single. makes no difference in power or mpg. just louder.
99 chevy s10 zr2, 6" lift, duel exhaust. 5 speed.
metallica21156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
4x4 blazerguy
AF Regular

Smile Re: a few ?s about running no muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica21156 View Post
tried that with my 95. i gained power in top end but lost it in the low. also mpg went down. installed a flowmaster 40 series. now i have the sound i want and i can push 23-25mpg out of it. but thats taking it easy. deffently still way more power then stock. the stock went from 2.5 out the cat to 2.25 at the muffler. now i have 2.5 inlet with 2.25 duel outlet. i used to run a single. makes no difference in power or mpg. just louder.
I agree, I replaced the stock muffler with a performance muffler & I lost low end torque, but did increase mileage & top end power. The low end torque was noticed because I was pulling a 5000# trailer. Half our trip was with the stock muffler the other half was with a no restricted performance muffler. But empty a person wouldn't really notice the low end torque loss.
4x4 blazerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance