Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 12:12 AM   #1
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
How do you decide form over function, and what form and function?

Alright, i have been wanting a muscle car because i like the looks, sounds, and feel of them. Recently i have been looking at a rally car (not hard-core rally, not yet) like the WRX because of the little driving of that type i have done, i have really enjoyed it. I want a manual in the car for the fun factor (i don't drive in heavy traffic much at all) and up untill today i have only diven manual for about 30 minutes, and i sucked, i stalled almost every time. Today though, i drove my friends toyota pick-up offroad and some on-road today and i stalled once and really enjoyed it. Now i LOVE off roading and driving manual, but i have never really liked driving trucks (although the only truck i have really driven is my dad's explorer). I want the impreza, but they are almost impossible to find used, which is my price range, around here. I really don't want to get a mid-sized family car. What makes sense, i would enjoy the pick-up or scooby but the practicality of those might not be great.
-cy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 08:08 AM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
I kinda understand your dilemna. What I'd like to know is, first off. What exactly do you want? Do you want to off-road? Do you want to race? I mean it first comes down to the style or plan. If you want to get into the performance scene and want something that can give you an edge or something like that, look into the car. If you were able to drive the truck manual, a car is no different. Maybe a little lighter, but really not much different. Not all cars clutches react the same exact way unless you're buying them brand new. I've gotten into the import scene some 4 years ago and still find myself learning new things. I most go with function. I modify my car to suit the needs of my driving. I have a heavy foot and thus, need a car that can take the hard accelerations and fast driving that I subject it to. Subaru's only till recently, have caught my eye as well. If you do go that route, make sure you get one that is in good condition and preferably one that is in the upper bracket in performance, like a WRX STi. If not, something other than a suby, maybe a Nissan or what have you.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:01 AM   #3
Dave12345
AF Newbie

The WRX sells well in UK. It's a fast car, thats designed to handle around the (tight) UK roads. If you like 4 wheel drifting at 100 and using the feedback to control the car your going to love it.

However if your stuck in America with straight roads, and daft speed limits, I hardly think it's worth it.

When I drove in florida last year the hire company gave me a Dodge Intrepid. It's a good job the roads were like they were else I would have crashed it!
Dave12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 01:21 PM   #4
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Function has to be the overriding item. Its more important the functions of the car will handle how you want to drive it. It doesnt do you any good to have a muscle car for offroading or offroad tires on a street machine. You can always find a stylish choice once you've identified how you want to drive.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 11-28-2001, 04:28 PM   #5
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Here is my thought process up to this point: First i wanted a muslce car (i like driving fast from time to time, fun stuff), then i wanted something like a rally car (thusly the scooby wrx or 2.5RS), and after yesterday i sorta want a pick-up to off-road with (it was such a blast). This car will be my daily driver, but basically to school and back (mile or 2) then just doing errands and going out with friends. I think i would like the scooby a lot, but off-roading looks really good right now (especially in San Diego, i am close to the desert, coast, and mountains).
Old 11-28-2001, 08:28 PM   #6
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

GARG, my parents are frustrating me. First they will say yes to a certain car even knowing a fair amount about it, then suddenly it turns to no, then to trying to give me our old ford explorer (i wouldn't mind but it drives like crap, i can't off-road it, and it has well over 100k miles on it). I know i sound ingrateful, which i may be, but i guess this is how spoiled kids act when they loose sight of how lucky they really are. ANYWAYS, my mom went from saying yes to a camaro Z28 to no on anything with a V8 (she found out f-bodies have bad reliability). I am leaning towards either an impreza, Xterra, or pick up (tacoma, normal toyota pick-up, or ranger). Imprezas are hard has hell to get ahold of used, and i can't afford a new one. The ranger or a tacoma (prerunner) aren't disagreeable, but as much as i hate to say it everyone has one and i don't wanna be trendy (yup, thats what todays youth is all about). But the Xterra seems like a good choice at this point, although my mom read it has bad handling, being based off a truch chasis, and bad gas milage. I can get a year or 2 hold one with limited miles for a good price, plus the yellow ones look diamn good. I am gonna swing by a used car dealer that has a lot of the cars i am interested in tomorrow, what do you suggest i look at in the sub $13k level (that is even too much most likely).
Old 03-02-2002, 02:24 PM   #7
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

i remember when i couldnt decide what type of car i wanted, i knew i wanted a sports car, but i couldnt decide on the manufacturer or type, i went from a 4 door to a 3 door hatch now im interested in coupes because they have more style. if you want a car for fun then why not buy a cheap car(~$2-3grand) to muck around in, fit it with a roll cage, racing harnest etc, and buy a muscle car for when you wanna cruise around and go out.
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:08 PM   #8
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Well, i ended up getting a '98 firebird forumula, which is what i decided on. I figured since i never off-roaded, and if i did i would have to work on the truck all the time, it wasn't worth it.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:24 PM   #9
288goat
AF Newbie

my pick.amc eagle. there a cheap 4x4.pull the 258.put in a 318 with a munci 4 speed and aluminum drive shaft.a 9 inch rear.30" bfgoodrich ta`s.air bags on all 4 corners.