Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > Spider
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
georgesaks
AF Newbie

Engine noise

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I just bought a ’84 Spider for driving enjoyment after repairing/correcting months and years of owner abuse and neglect Although I am not a novice working on cars this car is a shade-tree mechanic’s delight and will provide me with months of exquisite joy of hair pulling challenge. It is not the question what is wrong with this car, it is what is not! My immediate and greatest concern is the thumping noise that is emanating from the top of the engine.

I never worked on the engine and the drive train, so please help me with these questions:
1. Do I have to remove this engine from the chassis to disassemble the head and repair/replace the cam shafts and/or related parts/components? .

2. Are there any pitfalls or hazards for which I should look out for while working on this Italian stallion’s head? Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,
georgesaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
tartersauce
AF Regular

Re: Engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesaks
Gentlemen and Ladies:

I just bought a ’84 Spider for driving enjoyment after repairing/correcting months and years of owner abuse and neglect Although I am not a novice working on cars this car is a shade-tree mechanic’s delight and will provide me with months of exquisite joy of hair pulling challenge. It is not the question what is wrong with this car, it is what is not! My immediate and greatest concern is the thumping noise that is emanating from the top of the engine.

I never worked on the engine and the drive train, so please help me with these questions:
1. Do I have to remove this engine from the chassis to disassemble the head and repair/replace the cam shafts and/or related parts/components? .

2. Are there any pitfalls or hazards for which I should look out for while working on this Italian stallion’s head? Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,
Thumping noise while taking off ?? 1st 2nd gears. is the center bearing rubber on the driveshaft

Light noise in valve cover.. These are soild lifters, And I would check the Valve Clearances.. They maybe so out, making odd noises.. Also, to get to these, You open your valve cover, Rotate engine "Plugs Removed" until the Chain Master link is on top. Remove MAster, but shove a towel into chain area so it dont fall in the hole. If it does, Get a nice Magnet! Then you can remove both cams.. Make sure you check all the clearances first, as once the cams are out, You dont know any clearances.. Write them all down first. Also make sure all the caps, arnt broken or worn.. These cover the Valve which is what the Cam Lob pushes down on. They slide right out, and your Valve adjustment is right under that 1.5in cap. The adjustment piece looks like a Valve end cut down to about a 1/4 in piece sittin on top of the valve stem. These can be purchased with all different thicknesses, which gives you your correct adjustment.
Great little engine, minus the valve adjustments every 15k..

You do not need to remove the head unless you need valve seat work or new valves installed or it needs a head gasket. These have Steel Piston sleves kinda like a diesel engine. The head can be removed without the Block removed. A few bolts are a pain to get to on the intake bracket tho.. Its a Nut and stud way under the intake..

Last edited by tartersauce; 04-05-2008 at 05:22 PM.
tartersauce is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > Spider