Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Nardog
AF Newbie

06 Tacoma - Rear Differential Breather

I changed the rear differential fluid on my 06 Tacoma 2WD today at 25,000 miles to avoid problems with axle seals.
While removing the top plug (fill opening) I noticed air venting out.
The air venting was audible and lasted for about 15 seconds.
My question is; isn't the breather supposed to equalize pressure to the atmosphere? I'm concerned that a positive pressure, that would result when the fluid is heated up, could force gear oil past the axle seals and cause a leak. Has anyone else experienced this? I plan on removing the breather and cleaning it with solvent and blowing it out with compressed air on my next day off. I should have done this today, but didn't think of it until later.
Nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 06 Tacoma - Rear Differential Breather

I think you're on the right track. There should be no pressure.

Be thankful you didn't remove the drain plug first and have a jet of gear oil all over your garage floor....

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
hoofarted
AF Newbie

I did that same proceedure on my 95 Tacoma 4x4 a few years ago and had the same thing happen. What I found was when I removed the vent to check it, there is actually a spring and disc inside it to act as a check valve. With this setup air would be able to ecsape but nothing would be able to enter such as water when the rear axle is submerged. This spring and disc was clogged with goonk and wasn't allowing anything to pass in either direction. You could just leave the spring and disc out and the vent would work fine, but seems to me like Toyota had a pretty good idea so I cleaned it and reinstalled it and check it periodically (once a year).

Before finding this clogged vent my pinion seal was leaking. Not a lot but the housing was damp and I would see a drop in the driveway once in a while. After clearing the vent I pressure washed the housing and it never leaked again. I guess that pressure inside was forcing the fluid through the pinion seal. Weird thing is when I pulled that drain plug and air was blowing out, it wasn't a warm day, in the 40s and the truck was sitting overnight. Strange how pressure could be built up in there while the diff was so cool.

This was my first post, hope it helps.
hoofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
clicker01
AF Newbie

very helpful
clicker01 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma