Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Rilec
AF Newbie

Question Police Interceptors?

I have a question about Police Interceptor Engines:

What years are/were the police interceptor engines made and what were the Engine specs of each such as Horsepower, Torque, etc.

If it's too long of a list, then just post a list of the ones made for Fords and their specs.

If too much of a question then you could also redirect me to another site (if allowed) that has a list of police interceptor specs.

Thanks.
Rilec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Police Interceptors?

"Police Interceptor" is a misnomer. Many car makers offered "police packages". Ford called the engines "Interceptors". I had a '58 Fairlane "500" that had a 352 "Interceptor" in it. It was a turd. A 312-powered car would run away from it.

We had the CHP account at an engine rebuilder I worked in the mid '70s. There were MANY 440 "Interceptor" engines, but they were nothing different than a 440 Magnum, but had "6-Pack" connecting rods. Same cam and heads, same ThermoQuad... In those days, each office also had a "pursuit" car. In '76, they were hanging on to the '70 Polaras with hemis in them. They were said to be able to crack 200 on a flat open road.

In short, I believe the term was more used for advertising, than to really distinguish one package from another. The "Interceptor" engines weren't any different than most 4-bbl. engines, and the true high performance versions would blow the doors off the cop cars. I know they wouldn't TOUCH a '70 GTO with "Ram Air"... (:- (now, how did he know that...?)

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Rilec
AF Newbie

I figured it was somewhat like that, lol.

The reason I asked was because my friend keeps talking about his (I don't even think it's his) '65 T-Bird with a Police Interceptor. He says/thinks that it can beat anything thrown at it. I just needed some info about Interceptors so that when I talk to him about it I don't look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Any idea if the Interceptor in his T-bird is good at all?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
mr_mushroom
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mr_mushroom

many 'police package' cars feature upgraded electrical systems and suspension, and that's about it usually.

some people think when they buy a police car, they're getting some kind of awesome government built hot rod, which is usually not the case.

that having been said, however, the texas state troopers are now driving around in badASS camaros. ss with a package i think. if i remember right, they're called SLR's or SLP's or something. those are fast as hell.
so i guess occasionally cop cars can be fast, but will never compare to built street cars.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

The T-bird has a 390 with 325 HP. Nothing to write home about. A '65 GP with a 389 4-bbl. would run away and hide from it. I doubt the T-bird REALLY has an "Interceptor" engine.

As Mr. Mushroom said, many police "packages" contain heavy duty parts, not high performance parts.

CHP had T/As and Camaros for years. Nothing special about the engines. The SLP means "Street Legal Performance", a company specializing in emission-friendly and DOT safety WITH true high performance. Same company that brought you "FireHawk" in the early '90s.

More than 20 years ago, South Carolina state cops drove their own cars (I don't know if they still do). One was a '72 Trans Am with LOTS of modifications. It was featured in High Performance Pontiac Magazine, as it was pure Pontiac power, and VERY fast. Interesting look, an early T/A with a bubble gum machine on top...

Jim
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Rilec
AF Newbie

You've both answered the main question I asked about the '65 Thunderbird, and a few others. I can now have a little bit of facts support behind what I say about his T-Bird.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

It's not just the engine in that '65 T-bird that limits things, it's also the weight.

The '65 does not really look like a big car but it is world-class heavy.
It's unit body, but is based on a shortened full size Lincoln structure. These things weigh about 4500 lbs, or about 1300 lbs heavier than a '65 GTO.
Such mass will slow down any car regardless of the engine.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Rilec
AF Newbie

Ah, ok. I'll remember that as well.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
turtlecrxsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to turtlecrxsi

In the early 90's the SC Highway Patrol used silver notch-back mustang 5.0 with 4.11 rear end. They were all called "Interceptors". I think I got nailed by one or two back in my younger years...

turtlecrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Turtle,

Arizona used them, too. The engines were the 5.0 "HO", same as the GTs. They didn't run bad!

Jim
Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
turtlecrxsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to turtlecrxsi

This guy claims to have one... it's silver and has something written under the "5.0" on the fender
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683581

I've always wanted one. I still see them occasionally but it's really hard to tell if it's just a silver fox body stang or a left over SCHP car.
http://www.sspmustang.org/

turtlecrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
samandiar
AF Regular

I own a '99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. The engine is a completely stock 4.6L and it's slow as hell.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical