Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
MGEOD
AF Newbie

98 Tacoma drive train noise

Hi , new to this forum .. looks like a great site. I have a noise in my 98 Taco 4 wheel drive, its kind of a roaring noise . The wierd thing is it stops when you turn right. I replaced right front wheel bearing , center bearing on driveshaft. Also pulled rear differental and broke it apart looking for a bad bearing , all was good . Going to try some different tires on it to see it I may have a tread seperating or something. The truck has 166k on it , I am second owner and it has been well maintained , no fourwheeling at all, used it to pull my boat and just like a four wheel drive, any help would be appreciated , already spent about four hundred on parts and still have noise .
MGEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: 98 Tacoma drive train noise

Welcome aboard. it has been quiet on this forum recently.
Try switching the front tires and see if the noise stops when turning left. If no change that should clear the tires. Tacoma boy will probably respond, he knows lots about 4 x 4 systems.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
MGEOD
AF Newbie

Rotated tires again this time front to rear in a x pattern , still have noise when I go straight and am turning left , goes away when I turn right or make the truck sway as in swerving to the left and right( goes away only to the right ) , I am clueless to what it is , thought maybe center bearing in tran or maybe bearing in trans case but the turning thing just blows that theory for me , any help would be greatly appreciated, haven't had much luck with my Yota's lately , my sons truck blew front crank seal and cant get the balancer off, man it sucks , motor only has about thirty k on it , Thanks for all the help in advance
Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Flash75
AF - Advisor

I would think one of the front halfshaft's is bad, but like you I would think it will show up when turning instead of going away. I don't know of a good way to check the halfshaft's other than remove, Disassemble and inspect them for wear or damage. If you aren't doing your own work you may have better luck looking for a good 4 x 4 repair shop if you are in an area with lots of 4 x 4 activity. This link gives instructions for changing halfshaft's.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
MGEOD
AF Newbie

I do my own work , not sure about repair shops around here. Don't really trust
people to work on my stuff , I know I do it right. One question I have is do you think the front shafts would still make that noise with locking hubs, I am not sure if the axles actually turn that much in free spin . Man I do appreciate
all your input. I took the truck to a powertrain specailist and he isn't sure either , have actually wondered about those shafts or a bearing in the front differental before but was not sure they turned , in free spin mode
Old 01-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

What size tires do you have? Are you sure its not rub?

Check the plastic fender well liners to see if they are loose and have been rubbing on the tire.

Have you tried lifting the truck on jack stands so that all 4 wheels are off the ground and put the truck in gear to listen for problems?

Is it in 2wd, 4wd, or both?

Have you checked the CVs for play?

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
MGEOD
AF Newbie

I have 31 10.50's they have been on the truck for a while , its not rub. Truck does not do it with rear wheels jacked up , haven't tried all 4. Haven't check cv joints , didn't really think they turned that much in free wheel on my hubs. I have locked it in 4 wheel drive and it does still make noise , all the same characteristics , go straight it roars , turn left it roars , turn right no roar. As far as checking cv joints, I had the right front knuckle off recently , I thought it was that wheel bearing , but didn't pull axle and check joint , any pointers on how to actually check the cv joints would be appreciated. The boots are good and its doesn't pop when I turn , or make a noise when engaged. My nephew actually held his ear to shifter while I drove the truck to see if noise changed when I turned as far as tranny noise , he said no change he could tell . I will jack it up and put in 4 wheel to see if it will do it in my shop , haven't had any luck duplicating noise without the weight of the truck on the drive train . Do you think front axles actually turn that much when in free mode. Also have thougth about removing them to see if I can still hear noise , not to sure about this one tho,not sure if it can be done .
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

What you are describing sure sounds like tire rub up front. I would take a hard look at the wheel wells.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
MGEOD
AF Newbie

I have been all over this truck , its not wheel rub , wish it was. Tires have been on a while noise just started. Thanks for reply, wish it was wheel rub and I just missed it LOL .
Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Well, get all 4 wheels up in the air and check things over. Start it up and put it in gear. That will tell you if its drive train.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma