Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
staplegun
AF Newbie

Angry 1997 Brake Bleeding Problems - HELP!

New to this forum, glad I found it. Please don't ask me to search...I have been on enough forums to know to do that first and obviously that was in vain.

Situation is brakes were spongy - pedal travel is all the way to the floor. Truck has 130K miles on it, so I decided to err on the side of caution and replace master cylinder. Brakes have approximately 20K miles...front and backs replaced.

Now, after bench-bleeding the master cylinder and having replaced back into the truck, I cannot get the pedal to build up hydraulic pressure. I'm in same situation as I started. Any thought as to why fellas? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank-you in advance!
staplegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
staplegun
AF Newbie

WTF - No one here to help???

Present situation update. Replaced master cylinder with rebuilt one, replaced calipers with rebuilt, replaced with new pads...I cannot get pressure built up on the system to bleed properly. Has anyone encountered this problem problem???? I have disengaged the lever arm on the LSPV and moved up and down without any success in getting bled.
staplegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: 1997 Brake Bleeding Problems - HELP!

You mentioned the rear brake shoes were replaced. Were the drums turned? Have you adjusted the rear shoe automatic adjusters to position the shoes close to the drum? On some vehicles it's impossible to bleed the brakes unless the brake shoes are adjusted close to the drums. A quick test is to pull the handbrake handle out and see if it is normal, 12-18 clicks. If not normal make sure the brake shoe clearance is correct.
It's easier for me to direct you to a link that shows how to bleed Tacoma brakes, it's in a 2003 shop manual but your brakes are very similar.
http://misc.mmdsi.net/tacoma/tacoma-...anual_Volume_2
Scroll down to page BR 5. It shows how to bleed the master cylinder and the brakes. Installing the rear shoes is shown on page BR 40. Their adjustment procedure for the adjuster is vague, I always adjust so I can install the drum without dragging. You didn't mention if you are getting any fluid from the bleeder screws? Some vehicles require backing the rear bleeders out a couple of turns to get the brakes to bleed. I assume you are using the pedal to pump the brakes. I use a Mity Vac so I can bleed brakes without having to find a helper. If you still cannot bleed the rear, try using a jar/bottle of fluid and a hose from the bleeder to the jar for each rear wheel , open the bleeders and let gravity bleed them, be sure to keep the master cylinder topped. You shouldn't have to go that far, but it may work. One you get the rear bled the fronts are usually easier.
Hope this helps. If not get back with an update.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma