Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
skubaman
AF Newbie

Need help - left sun roof open - got rained in

Hi all,
Made a bad mistake today and left the sun roof of less than 1 year old Acura RDX and took rain in for several hours. Good thing my wife saw it and let me know. It's her car and let's just say she is not thrilled about it.

It's sunday afternoon and detail shops are closed but I plan to contact them first thing tomorrow.

But what to do in the meantime?

There wasn't a pool of water inside, which is good news. The removable carpet on the backseat was wet and I took it out. But I am sure some water sipped into the leather seats.

I have the car engine running with heater on and left the garage door half way open. So, car heater is on, I put a big fan inside and a space heater as well. Doors are open.
Should I do A/C instead so it dehumidifies? Should I not run heater?

Really hoping to get some help here.

Thanks so much

:::UPDATE:::

Decided wasn't a good idea to run engine in the garage even with door completely open. It's cold outside and fumes seem to not get fully out.

The heater seems to work with the engine off, is that right for this car model?

Thanks

Last edited by skubaman; 12-20-2015 at 10:14 PM.
skubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Need help - left sun roof open - got rained in

I would say do what you have to do to get rid of moisture the only problem I see with your current strategy is that your garage door is only half open. Open it right up, it's not worth the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
skubaman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCStig View Post
I would say do what you have to do to get rid of moisture the only problem I see with your current strategy is that your garage door is only half open. Open it right up, it's not worth the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
I could open it completely if it's a must. My concern is that in my area there are frequent house and car break ins, things getting stolen, etc...

I do need to add a question. The car has seat warmers, should I turn them on? Or that can actually be a problem?

Thanks
skubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
corvairbob
AF Newbie

get out the wet vacuum and vacuum out the ware the best you can. leave it open enough to allow air to circulate. it is not any worse that a convertible getting wet when out in the rain. been there many time and no damage. i even had so much water int he car during a rain in a coast guard parade the when i opened the doors water ran out. i vacuumed it out left the top down to dry as the top never did get wet under the boot and not a bit of problems with it after. just like washing your cloths. as long as the water was clean and rain is basically clean your going to be fine. all the detailer will do is vacuum it anyway.
corvairbob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General