Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 03:10 AM   #1
lucyseabug
AF Newbie

MPG decrease

The older Mertos got 50+ mpg but the later models (95+) are lucky to get 40 mpg. I started looking into this and it seems that the Feds did'nt like the NOx emmisions and needed more gas in the cat to keep them lower. Then they put 2 very expensive O2 sensors and a temp sensor on it to seal the reduction in gas milage. The extra weight for crash strength is a good thing... it keeps people alive longer so they will suffer more before death.
I looked at the schematics and I think I might try to make an adaptor for an older ECM to work. By the looks of things it should work.

Hot rodding a metro is weird. I'm an old guy and still can't get myself to take seriously a set of front wheels burning off.
lucyseabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
sixseas
AF Regular

Wow! where did you find out about the high xNO ratings on the pre-1995s? Thats exactly what the polution control guy said Geos Metros and Hondas have a rought time due to the high xNO ratings. Do you recall any recommendations for lowering xNO on the pre 1995s.

I bought a 1994 Geo Metro XFI unreal gas mileage on the open road. I avoided the 1995 and later models becasue it seemed like there was a drop in mpg and an automatic gets midsize car mpg. I had an automatic 1987 Sprint and averaged 52 mpg across the country.

Ive been going over every component in the 1994 Metro emissions for weeks trying to get through the State of California polution check. Im not an expert but that system is so complex I wouldnt fool with it. Also be careful with shorts and shut off ignition or disconnect battery before connecting and disconnecting ECU or sensors. Its like opening a can of worms I suspect there will be no end to the problems if you change anything and it likely will never run quite right. You will likely cause more grief or repair bills than the saving in fuel will ever recover. Regards Adam
sixseas is offline   Reply With Quote