Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
xlosinghopex
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xlosinghopex
ground wire kits?

Anyone have one of these ground wire kits? I picked one up cuz I got it for cheap and it will suit my color scheme. The way I look at it is all of your engine parts are grounded even without a ground wire so does this really make any difference? Anyone notice an increase in anything? Also the thing has no instructions, I'm sure I can figure it out but if I can I'd like to see the right way it's done so I don't make any mistakes. Anyone know any installation pages online?
xlosinghopex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
91civicDXdude
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to 91civicDXdude
unless you have already bad grounds, its not an upgrade besides for "it looks cooler"

Installation should be straight forward, replace all the factory ground wires with the ones you bought...

http://4thgencivic0.tripod.com
91civicDXdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
civickiller
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to civickiller
where did u get these ground wire kit from ?
but upgrading the ground will give you more power, but not alot.

didnt anyone read that scc issue where they put on the hyper grounds and it showed the hp increase, but they messed with the ground to get them peak hp by moving the grounds around the engine bay
Old 05-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
that test was done on some type r race engine tho, im sure you'll .001 gains from this, if they are even thicker guage than the stock ones.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
SiRII
AF Enthusiast

i hear you get slightly more hp
SiRII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:57 PM   #6
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Unless you previously had resistance wires (you didn't) you won't see any gain in power whatsoever.

Proud member of www.automobileforum.com

Mod -www.autoworldforums.com
911GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #7
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

this didnt give me power cuz it wasnt dealing with my engine but I put a new ground from the battery to frame of car, cuz I had my 0 guage grounded from my amp to the frame, and the battery was grounded with like 12 guage, so I put some 4 guage and it did seem like the amp could get more power, well, however it would have helped it did, cant really explain it, on sounddomain.com lots of people said to do it and I finally did. but how woulda better ground give you more HP?
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
xlosinghopex
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xlosinghopex
I got mine from R-1 Racing Sports which is a cheap company. Spoon even makes one of these kits for $135 and I've seen another brand that was $150. That's ridiculous though, how different could these kits be? Not to mention that I doubt they do anything. Like I said before even without a ground wire these parts are touching the chassis making a ground, ground wires are really just for a backup in case the part looses contact with the chassis. So anyway I got mine cheap and it looks really nice especially since it's in red. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about these kits.
xlosinghopex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:53 PM   #9
Frostbyte
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Frostbyte
I know a guy that makes them and sells them for way cheaper then the hyper ground kit. I have them on my civic and I noticed a diffrence in mid-range power. It will make a diffrence and it did on a 2000 Ford Focus with nothing else done. It gained 5 horses to the wheels. I would recommend getting these. If you would like me to contact him I think he sells them for like 55 dollers then please e-mail me at nate@mlode.com and I will hook you up with him.
JIC Magic Front and Rear Strut Bars
Slotted and Cross-drilled Rotors
S/S Brake Lines
Pivot Lazy eye controller
Blitz LM Intake
Blitz D1 Spec Turbo Timer
Soon to come:
Sard 550cc Injectors
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Blitz Down pipe
HKS FMIC
http://www.driftmonkey.com (Part Owner)
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
EF You
EF Life Giver

Send a message via AIM to EF You
Quote:
Originally posted by xlosinghopex
Like I said before even without a ground wire these parts are touching the chassis making a ground, ground wires are really just for a backup in case the part looses contact with the chassis.
how can you say that man? every place the engine mounts to the chassis uses rubber or polyurethane. i guarantee you if you undo your engine harness' ground strap it will not only run poorer, it prolly wont even start. think about this. motor mounts dont give you metal on metal contact, shift linkage doesnt, exhaust doesnt, and CV shaft do so very poorly, with grease between the joints and rubber boots as well. and even if you manage to make contact through the joint, the knuckle that its bolted to has tons of bushings to make sure metal doesnt contact metal. if your engine was bolted directly to the frame, which is what you need for a good ground, then you would have so much vibration that the car would be undriveable.

my point is, the ground straps are important, and although you prolly wont notice gains on most cars, it never hurts to improve it. but dont buy a kit, just go get a few feet of heavy guage amp wire and some connectors and make your own.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical