Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 03:40 AM   #1
RangerDude
AF Newbie

Question about Starters & Odd Rattle

I recently bought a new 2003 Ford Ranger Edge. The most ridiculous thing happened before I ever drove it off the lot: The salesman had driven it out of the showroom and parked it in the lot. Several minutes later, we decided to move it nearer my trade-in, so I could transfer stuff to the new one. Salesman said, "You drive." I was excited as hell, got in the driver's seat, and very stupidly failed to realize that the engine was still running (I assumed he'd shut it off, and didn't pay attention). So I cranked the starter for a couple of seconds, then muttered "F***!" and of course got off the key when I realized what I was doing.

First question: What harm, if any, might this have done? (The truck had 26 miles on it at the time.)

Now then, ever since I've had the truck (it has 600+ miles now), there are times, immediately after starting the engine, that I hear this odd, irregular rattling noise. It appears to be coming from the engine compartment. After a few minutes, it stops. Sometimes, it doesn't do it at all. Cold or hot, sometimes the sound is there after start-up, and sometimes it isn't. When it isn't, she just purrs like a kitten.

Second question: What might this rattling be? Everytime I ask someone to take a listen, of course it doesn't do it, and I just know that's what'll happen if I take it to the dealer.

Third question: Any chance this is related to the starter fiasco described above -- armature not fully disengaging or something?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I love the vehicle and I'm a good driver, but I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to diagnosis of this type. Thanks!

-Bill
RangerDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
SRT4
AF Newbie

Haha trust me ive been there too.
But I dont think that u caused any real harm to ur starter because
the starter has an overrrunning clutch built in so it wont allow the flywheel to drive the starter motor backwards so ull be fine there.

About the noise, where are u hearing it from and does it seem to happen when its hot and cold or doesnt it matter?

-Steve
SRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
pod
AF Enthusiast

a flat spot mabe

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical