Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #31
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
the more logical swap for you to be doing is the b16a, for the money you save not only in the cost of the motor, but the savings from not converting to cable, and the wiring changes to accomodate obd are not worth the hassle, swap the b16, and have your car ready in a weekend, not to wait for months to get all the stuff you need for the b18.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 PM   #32
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by crxlvr
the more logical swap for you to be doing is the b16a, for the money you save not only in the cost of the motor, but the savings from not converting to cable, and the wiring changes to accomodate obd are not worth the hassle, swap the b16, and have your car ready in a weekend, not to wait for months to get all the stuff you need for the b18.
Thanks for backing what I've been saying up.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:18 PM   #33
edman24
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to edman24
yes PWMAN but as i was trying to say that the b18c is worth the extra money because to get the b16 motor to b18 numbers youd make up the difference in mods. why not start with a better base and work from there? not to mention the fact that the b18 has greater tuning possibilities and responds better to mods.

i like the ls/vtec idea. and i can speak from experience, the ls/vtec is an awesome setup if done right. and dont worry about the damn piston squirters! if youre stupid enough to overrev the ls block for whatever reason, then you shouldnt be driving. it gets to 8300 just fine and any higher then that is just stupid. i have yet to actually get my car that high. i smoked my friends 99 Si shifting at about 7000-7200. and i mean SMOKED! this thing pulls like a raped ape!!:jump:
Old 05-12-2003, 08:51 PM   #34
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

You don't think you can get more than 20 HP out of the B16 with 1800 extra dollars? I think you can get atleast 40 for that, not to mention a complimentary nitrous kit adding another 60.

Oh and I forgot about the hydro conversion, or the price of a cable tranny. Add that to the 1800, so just say 2000 dollars. You can far surpass the B18C1 with 2000 extra dollars on the B16A1.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #35
edman24
AF Enthusiast

first of all do not bring nitrous into this equation. it is cheap hp and can only be used for a certtain amount of time therefore it should not be added into the overall hp of the engine. and with 1800 you may get the extra hp you need out of a b16 to match a b18 but not the torque(and dont tell me it doesnt matter because its a light car, it matters in every car) and then that means youve exhausted all the bolt on and other easy mods so youve topped out in hp unless you use forced induction. my point is, get the b18 stock(which will equal a b16 with mods) THEN build from there. is what im saying not getting through or do you understand now?
Old 05-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #36
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
yea but ed, with the extra amount of money you have a simple cam swap in the b16 will give you the torque and hp numbers from the b18, with the extra 1300 you have left over after that, you can still add CAI, full exhaust and a chipped ecu.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #37
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by crxlvr
yea but ed, with the extra amount of money you have a simple cam swap in the b16 will give you the torque and hp numbers from the b18, with the extra 1300 you have left over after that, you can still add CAI, full exhaust and a chipped ecu.
You see Edman24, everyone else is aware of the money factor but you. Not everyone has that extra 3 grand lying around you know. And thats MY POINT. I am well aware of the point you are making.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:09 PM   #38
edman24
AF Enthusiast

i never said evryone has 3 grand lying around. how do you think i bought my car? i worked for the money and i saved it up. my point is, wait a few more months, save a few more bucks and start with a better base. how hard is that to understand? and dont tell me a cam can make up for the loss in displacement. that is totally untrue. the b18 with that same cam would destroy a b16.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #39
smc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to smc
Go with the GSR if you have the money

I agree with edman, if you have the money or want to save up then go with the GSR. Do not forget, "there is no replacment for displacement". Its no doubt the B16a would be a cheaper and easier alternative. You can easily swap out cams and crank and destroy the b16a. I have a 95 civic and have decided to get the GSR with a LSD tranny (Y80). With all due respect, if money is an option then the b16a would be a better alternative, but personally I would rather 1.8 liters to start with, than 1.6.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical