Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
bgskypkn
AF Newbie

Unhappy Auto Transmission help please!

Hi all,
I have a 90 Metro LSI with the automatic trans. I am crusing along about 40-45 mph and all of a sudden my trans wants to downshift to second! It will jump down and then jump back to 3rd within seconds, it only does this randomly but at least once or twice within 50 miles or so. it just had the fluid changed and filter, has about 113,000 miles on it.Also it will just go to neutral at times crusing in town in bettween streets when you slow down for the open intersections and speed up again staying around 25mph it will be going along then when I take my foot off the gas to slow down it will go into this neutral void and the only way I can get it in gear is to stop and manually pull it into 1st, then it will shift ok again. If anyone can help on this one that would be great
Thanks, all !
bgskypkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
crazyinkc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Auto Transmission help please!

Have you checked your fluid level? I sounds like it is low. It could also be the trans controler or the wiring to the trans. I have a spare contoller I will sell cheap if you want to try it. Email me @ dstuart115@excite.com for the controller and we can work something out after you check you fluid level.
crazyinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
bgskypkn
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Auto Transmission help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinkc
Have you checked your fluid level? I sounds like it is low. It could also be the trans controler or the wiring to the trans. I have a spare contoller I will sell cheap if you want to try it. Email me @ dstuart115@excite.com for the controller and we can work something out after you check you fluid level.
Hey crazyinkc!
Thanks for a fast reply, I have just changed the fluid and the level is right at the "Hot" mark after I have driven it a while. What is that controller like changing, and where do I find that? I would definitely be interested in purchasing that and trying it. The tranny actually shifts very well other than the problems and it is very hit and miss so to speak, I can go several days without a glinch, then one day it happens a couple of times!
Look forward to your response, THANKS!! Darren
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
bgskypkn
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Auto Transmission help please!

Hey also I was viewing some other post on the controller as far as testing it with 12vlt lights across the solenoids. I have a Haynes manual (absolutly useless for technical info, buy a shop manual for about $25 used online!!when I get mine the Haynes may get circular filed!!!) LOL Which controller is it under the dash and how does a person go about this test? Thanks, Darren
Old 02-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
chembrad
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto Transmission help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgskypkn
Hey also I was viewing some other post on the controller as far as testing it with 12vlt lights across the solenoids. I have a Haynes manual (absolutly useless for technical info, buy a shop manual for about $25 used online!!when I get mine the Haynes may get circular filed!!!) LOL Which controller is it under the dash and how does a person go about this test? Thanks, Darren
I would keep the Haynes if I were you. I have Haynes, Chilton, and GM manual for my cars. Haynes has the best pictures. The shop manual has more detailed instructions (most of the time but not always). Chilton is my least favorite of the three but it is a useful cross reference.

Anyway just my
Old 02-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
bgskypkn
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Auto Transmission help please!

Yeah, you are right about the pics in the haynes, I probably will keep it, I just wish they were a little more detailed regarding fuel systems electrical components ect. Some components they show the pic of it but dont even talk about what it is!
Take care! ;-)
Old 02-23-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
crazyinkc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Auto Transmission help please!

The trans controller should be on the right side of the steering column under the dash. I looks like a small engine computer. How about, I ship it to you for $20 and if you do not need it, Ship it back if you want and I will refund you minus my shipping. I can ship from work very cheap via 2nd day air.
crazyinkc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro