Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Catera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
GoBenB
AF Newbie

Need Advice on the Catera

I purchased a Catera the other day for a few hundred bucks. The engine will not start but the car itself is clean. Im sure it will be a great car once it is running again.

I hooked up the OPD2 and its shooting back a code for overheating and a code for the crankshaft position sensor.

Upon visual inspection you can clearly see a crack in the radiator hose. You can also see that coolant was rising from the crankshaft position sensors location? This part confuses me. Is it possible that the sensor was damaged by this hot coolant or maybe just the heat in general screwed the sensor. Not sure.

My second question is this, if that sensor is malfunctioning, would it cause low compression in the cylinders? When I did a compression test my cylinders were averaging like 50. Thats obviously not right.

Im a little stumped with this. I want to get this car singing in the choir without dumping a ton of money into it. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
Ben
GoBenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
wafrederick
Banned

Re: Need Advice on the Catera

You bought a POS and it is an Opel.The Cateras do have problems with the timing belts.Some of the parts from GM have been discontinued on these cars.The parts on these cars are expensive too.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
catera , compression , crankshaft , overheat , radiator
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Catera