Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Fiesta
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
jayzzz
AF Newbie

Question Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

Hi all, got a problem with a Ford Fiesta, and so far 3 knowledgeable people and 2 garages have not found a cure! Hopefully someone here might

have had a simalar problem and may be able to help? I'm not very car knowledgeable so please bare in mind when explaining anything

Description of the car:

Ford Fiesta 1.25 (1242cc) LX 16V Zetec-S injection - 1996 N reg

The problem is, when driving the car, at random intervals it 'judders' and loses power, sometimes nearly coming to a stand still. Even when

putting your foot right down when this happens, no fuel/power seems to be going through to the engine, and so, no acceleration.

This has happened in all gears, at all speeds, and at totally random times - Sometimes seconds after setting off, sometimes doesn't happen

for a few minutes, and sometimes doesn't happen at all. Also when it does happen, after the power is finally back, it maybe fine again for

ages.

After a while after the lack of power/speed thing happens, with your foot flat down, all of a sudden the power kicks in, and sometimes

excessively so it accelerates really fast. While the power stops, it builds up, and after a while it all comes out. Today it was even worse,

when putting it into 5th gear no power was going through whatsoever, so even had to drop back down into 4th just to keep at the right speed.

Before getting the car it had been on a driveway for quite a while but don't know how long. The car is also high on CO2 emmisions, but

recently passed an MOT 3 weeks ago.

If it helps find a cure, another weird thing about the car, when changing the spark plugs, the old ones were covered in oil, meaning oils

coming up from inside the engine past the pistons which they shouldn't so maybe that's something to do with it?

Everyone has suggested many possible fixes, such as new spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, of which I have done all, to no result. I have

tried using Redex in the fuel to get rid of any muck deposits due to an ancient corroding rusted old fuel filter, which hasn't really helped.

Newer suggestions for cures were:

Lamba Sensor renewal - could also cure the emmisions problem
Distrubutor cap?

Anyone that has any suggestions please reply, we're really on our last legs trying to find a cure as no one else seems to know the problem!

Jason.
jayzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
sweenster
AF Newbie

Re: Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

my first thought would be that the ECU is faulty. Probably not totally f3cked up but there might be a loose wire in the connection (possibly try checking the power supply wire in the first instance).

Maybe even a hardware fault with the ECU itself? The unit may reset itself after it cuts out which would explain why it works OK for ages afterwards before it happens again.
sweenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #3
fordfestauk
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fordfestauk
Arrow Re: Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

Hi there mate i am having the same prob with my ford festa L reg 1994 the power dies i have been told so many things that it could be the one thing i know is when i drive through water it sets it off there for i am 99% sure that its my lamber sensor but still need help when you take your foot off the gas then put it back on gently does it gain power again?
fordfestauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
jayzzz
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

Hey, Sorry it's taken a while to reply, been busy at work. When taking the foot off the gas and putting it back on slowly it didn't really do any different.
The way the power kicked in eventually was by putting ur foot flat down on the gas pedal and randomly it'd kick in.

We since took it to a Food garage to run it through their diagnostics machine.. which cost £60. The test came back saying the "Hego Sensor" needed replacing. Since replacing the hego sensor, the problem seems to have been fixed. I'm not suggesting yours is the Hego Sensor, but it could be a possible cause!

Best bet if I were you is to take it to a Ford Garage for electronic diagnostics.. it costs £60 but it'd most probably find whats wrong. Only thing is with this test to note is that when the test finds a problem which could be a cause for your symptoms, the test stops. You may replace that part but then have to do the test again to find anything else which needs replacing (This is just a way in which ford attempt to make more money out of you) fortunuately for me the Hego Sensor was the cause for the problem.

So i'm basically suggesting you run it through Ford's diagnostics, replace the part (Hego sensor replacement including labour cost £140 via ford, but would be cheaper elsewhere.. we got fed up so went with ford), and hope for the best! (...or get a new car lol)

Let me know how it goes mate,

Jay.
jayzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
fordfestauk
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

Hi Jay thanks for your post i have not yet fixed the prob but the mad thing is the car is working really better not sure why your right i do need to go to ford and put the car on a test then we will find out the prob i will keep you up dated thanks bud
Old 03-15-2006, 02:58 AM   #6
fordfestauk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzzz
Hi all, got a problem with a Ford Fiesta, and so far 3 knowledgeable people and 2 garages have not found a cure! Hopefully someone here might

have had a simalar problem and may be able to help? I'm not very car knowledgeable so please bare in mind when explaining anything

Description of the car:

The problem is, when driving the car, at random intervals it 'judders' and loses power, sometimes nearly coming to a stand still. Even when

putting your foot right down when this happens, no fuel/power seems to be going through to the engine, and so, no acceleration.

This has happened in all gears, at all speeds, and at totally random times - Sometimes seconds after setting off, sometimes doesn't happen

for a few minutes, and sometimes doesn't happen at all. Also when it does happen, after the power is finally back, it maybe fine again for

ages.

After a while after the lack of power/speed thing happens, with your foot flat down, all of a sudden the power kicks in, and sometimes

excessively so it accelerates really fast. While the power stops, it builds up, and after a while it all comes out. Today it was even worse,

when putting it into 5th gear no power was going through whatsoever, so even had to drop back down into 4th just to keep at the right speed.

Before getting the car it had been on a driveway for quite a while but don't know how long. The car is also high on CO2 emmisions, but

If it helps find a cure, another weird thing about the car, when changing the spark plugs, the old ones were covered in oil, meaning oils

coming up from inside the engine past the pistons which they shouldn't so maybe that's something to do with it?

Everyone has suggested many possible fixes, such as new spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, of which I have done all, to no result. I have

tried using Redex in the fuel to get rid of any muck deposits due to an ancient corroding rusted old fuel filter, which hasn't really helped.

Distrubutor cap?

Anyone that has any suggestions please reply, we're really on our last legs trying to find a cure as no one else seems to know the problem!

Jason.
Hi there i know what prob your having because i am having the same i really do think its my lamber thing i will keep you updated dont worry know one knew what i was going on about when trying to tell them the prob but i do know yours

Thanks Chris email me if you like chrisbrookuk@hotmail.co.uk
Old 03-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Ricochet74
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

I have had almost the same problem since December. I have taken it back to the dealer 7 times now. Previously they have looked at several different probs and basically told me that all was ok. They have now told me that there have been other cars with the same problem. And they have now logged the problem with FORD. Dont know why this didnt happen after the second or third time!!!
I was also advised that FORD really doesn't know what the problem is and that it may take another month for the service engineers to find a fix. I was also told that if this doesn't happen within a month, they may not be able to fix the problem at all. Not very happy about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzzz

Description of the car:

ages.

Distrubutor cap?

Jason.
Ricochet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
krishowes
AF Newbie

Has anyone managed to find a solution to this? Starting to lose the will to live with this - Does replacing the Lamba Sensor work?

Many thanks in advance!

Kris
krishowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
josh01gt
Banned

Greetings from USA.
Quick question, does your catalitc converter get real hot? To check yourself if its a plugged cat converter you can take the o2 sensor(hego/lamba sensor some have called it) and drive around for a bit to see if the issue is there. Be sure it is the sensor before the cat, usually on the exhaust manifold off the block.It sounds like a plugged cat, but they are too costly to just replace on a whim. I had a GM car that did that to me once and that was the fix. Its not the ECU, they do not reset themselves unless there is a power loss or it is told to do so from the ALDL connector. Im not to familiar with emmissions in UK, do you have a check engine or emissions lights that turn on and off randomly? Hope my input helps.
josh01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
jojnydeep196
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Problem with fiesta even garages can't locate!

i am facing a battery problem in my car.My battery discharge daily and dealer cant find the problem.i have changed wire and battery.so give me some suggestion.what should i do...????
jojnydeep196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojnydeep196 View Post
i am facing a battery problem in my car.My battery discharge daily and dealer cant find the problem.i have changed wire and battery.so give me some suggestion.what should i do...????

Start a new thread.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Fiesta