Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Catera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Bert Stubbs
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bert Stubbs
1999 Cadillac Catera

I am having problems with the battery going dead after about three days. I have paid a small fortune having the electronics checked. I have been told it is the body control module. No longer serviced by GM. Purchased a used bcm and paid to have it programed. Nothing changed except now the radio no longer works. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.
Bert Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1999 Cadillac Catera

What are you looking for here, we cannot diagnose this on the net, a check for current drain must be performed to see if there is a long term live circuit pulling the battery down. No other way to begin to diagnose this condition. Who ever is checking this for you has failed to pin it down.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Bert Stubbs
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bert Stubbs

all fuses were pulled and circuits check for long term drain. This and other checks led mechanic to the Body Control Module. I was told by the mechanic that the bcm was sending a message that the interior lights and radio were on when they were not. This long term signal was draining the battery and I needed to replace the bcm. No new or aftermarket bcm is available. I purchased a used bcm and paid to have it reprogramed to my vehicle. This did not work. Has anyone else had an issue with long term battery drain with a diagnosis of a bad bcm. How did you correct the issue.
Bert Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

You can be fooled doing this as the modules don't go to sleep for up to 20 minutes, so a drain could show during this time, especially if checked by disconnecting the battery cable. this check must be done wth an ammeter that just fits over the bat cable so that the modules are not re-awakened. Google the how to for battery drains.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Catera