Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
DallasMEF
AF Newbie

New Transmission Fluid cause slippage

2 months ago, I changed the transmission filter. Nervous about doing anything with the fluid, I went back in with the old fluid and car has been running fine.

I convinced myself that I need to begin upgrading my old fluid, so I siphoned out 2.5 Q of fluid and replaced with new fluid.

Immediately, on my test drive, the transmission started slipping/flaring after the engine warmed up. I read that new fluid is high in detergent and cleaned the varnish off of the internal parts-band/drum, etc.

Any help out there?

Will adjusting the bands help this situation? It is pretty safe to say that none of the shift sensors, clutches and bands are not broken, since it was shifting fine before I added the 2 qts of new fluid.

What about LucasFix? What exactly does it do? The bottle says it cleans and lubricates worn out bands and valves. If it removes varnish, it seems that will only complicate my problem.
DallasMEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
virgamanda
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to virgamanda
Re: New Transmission Fluid cause slippage

What type fluid did you use? Most Explorers take the Mercon IV Tranny Fluid. I am not big on any of those additives, if the wrong fluid was used you may have to take it in for a flush.
virgamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
DallasMEF
AF Newbie

I used the owner's manual recommended Mercon V.

I found several postings from some transmission experts that I am posting here for others to see. It seems that improperlymaintained transmissions causes the fluid to take on varnishy characteristics. In theory, this varnish and clutch material particles allow the internal parts to still grab....even when the tran fluid has broken down and the friction material has worn off of the bands. New tran fluid is highly detergent and will strip this varnish - which removes its ability to engage and "stick" to change gears.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Lincoln-M...sion-fluid.htm

http://www.rd.com/104259/article104259.html

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/transslip.html
DallasMEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
truck150
AF Newbie

i did the same thing and filled it to the specs and trans didnT work i proceeded to put more fuild in and it started to work. again i overfilled mine to get ti to work so now that i know it still works it is going to the dealer tomorrow to have it professionally serviced and done correctly. i don't think there is anything wrong with your trans it just needs to be serviced by someone who knows how to work on the dumb designed trans. ford really had there heads up there ass when they designed these trans and made it impossible to work on hope this helps
truck150 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bands , flare , fluid , slip , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac