Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
ASPHALTADDICT
AF Newbie

f150 over heating, possible head gasket??

recently bought a 1999 for 150 v8 5.4 liter engine with 112,xxx. I though I found a diamond in the rough and was so excited. previous owner said water pump was just replaced and a flush was done. I drove the truck home about 45 mins and everything was fine. yesterday I drove it about 5 and it started to over heat. I stopped to let it cool down and check what was up. I thought I saw what looked like oil in the coolant but no coolant in the oil. after sitting awhile I drove the truck home (same distance) and it wasn't even close to over heating. could this be the head gasket? or something else in the cooling system...im a little lost on this one? going for a compression test on Monday
ASPHALTADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: f150 over heating, possible head gasket??

Welcome to the forum!

The apparent overheat may have been due to some trapped air in the cooling system from when the water pump was changed, if you're lucky. That would not explain something that could give the impression of oil in the cooling system. Could it maybe have been something like a leak sealer that was used to slow or stop a coolant leak from the water pump prior to it being replaced?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1999 , ford , gasket , head , overheating
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion