Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
rcweston
AF Regular

Service air bag signal

2011 equinox 4 cyl 57,000k auto trans 5 speed
last week I got a "service air bag" warning on the screen as I was driving, then it went away. It comes and goes more frequently as time goes on, but it is lasting longer when it comes on. Today it came on as i started up and stayed on for the entire trip except the last 500 feet before I parked.
when it comes on at start up, I simply shut it off and start again, most of the time it doesn't come back. but it is just getting more often and longer. I've seen it come on as I move my feet around, thinking their must be some wiring in that area that could be effected.
I know very little about how air bags work, but I'm pretty good with electronics and wiring diagrams.
I have downloaded a diagram, but don't want to start probing and changing things until I get a better understanding of how it works. I would really hate to set off an air bag because of my ignorance of its operations.
couldn't find any other post in the equinox section, but maybe someone with experience could lend a hand, or in this case, some information.
I did pull the codes while the problem existed, but it said their were no code. They must show up somewhere else.
thanks
RC

Last edited by rcweston; 09-08-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: additional information
rcweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Service air bag signal

A regular obd scanner will not pick Sirs info, only a high line scanner is set up sirs codes.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Max is correct.....a regular scan tool/code reader only reads "P" codes......Air bags are "B" codes.....

It sure sounds like a connection problem.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
rcweston (09-10-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I'm not sure where the srs computer is on the Equinox but on the W-bodies it was under the passenger seat and many people found success unplugging and plugging it back in. Others unplugged and replugged the connector under the drivers seat to cure the random air bag light.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

The "Service Air Bag" warning may be the time-based programming notifying you that the inexpensive oriental lowest-bidder SIR inflator is due for replacement resulting from its poor design, low-grade materials, and inferior workmanship.

On the plus side, it was the cheapest thing available when the it was built, so you saved $6 off the price when you bought the $30,000.00 vehicle.

THAT, my friend, is how basic economics functions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
rcweston (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

In the interim, and since we seem to be unable to kill all the accountants, you will need to access the BCM with a scanner to reveal any existing or pending trouble codes. Checking and re-seating connections is not a bad idea, but there are numerous connections inside and outside the vehicle involved. The SIR module, BCM, PCM, inertia (impact) sensors, seating sensors, steering column connections, front and side bags, and affiliated systems are involved. Since you have a schematic you can probably see the scope of the system.

Have you noticed whether the warning seems to be affected by steering wheel position?
rcweston (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
rcweston
AF Regular

More testing.
Before I go any further, I would very much appreciate any info or precautions needed while working and testing this system. Last thing I want to do is launch one of these air bags!
Apparently my tool won't pull the needed codes. I don't have access to anything better. Could a o'riely or auto zone pull the codes with their readers?
From the drawings, it appears that each air bag has a shorting device and each connector also has one. Probably to stop any signal from getting to the igniter. But the sensors do not. The sensors and air bags each wire directly to the restraint and diagnostic module. It look pretty straight forward on paper, but finding all the connections could prove more difficult.
If anything here is incorrect, please correct me.
Much of this wiring is found under the drivers seat.
To try and simulate the conditions and results I am experiencing, I very slightly moved the wiring and connectors found under the drivers seat. No changes happened, the failure stayed and didn't clear.
I looked one last time and found a small wire going up the door side of the seat back, not the seat bottom. Upon touching it, the failure cleared.
Normally I would think that was good, but I want to fix the problem and not just put it off until it fails again.
Today it hasn't come back at all, no matter how I move around in the seat nor how I press on the floor.
I really don't want to go any further until I find out how to disarm the system to avoid any launches.
Thanks for everyone's info and experience.
Any thing you can tell me will be helpful.
Rcw
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
rcweston
AF Regular

At the present, I'm 1700 miles from home in Michigan and don't have access to much.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

Worst case for now is the air bags are dis abled, AZ and such cannot scan for related codes.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
rcweston
AF Regular

The steering doesn't seem to have any effect on what I am experiencing.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
rcweston
AF Regular

This morning I found a service bulletin that might just apply. #14170 special coverage adjustment, air bag service message.
I called GM, but they said because of a previous hail storm with this vehicle, this car no longer qualifies for the service.
Too Bad!
I am attaching the bulletin, It doesn't look too difficult, maybe someone has had experiences and could give a little insight to this.
Thanks Rcw

sorry, I cant figure out how to attach this pdf. maybe I could use help with that also!
Old 09-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

A quick search with the number you provided yielded this:

Condition

On some 2010-2011 model year Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles, high resistance in the side-impact airbag (SIAB) circuit may cause the airbag-readiness light to illuminate and the “SERVICE AIR BAG” message to display.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to crimp and solder the SIAB wiring harness connector, located between the seat cushion and seat back, on the driver and passenger seats. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after June 25, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to June 25, 2015, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

It sounds like a seat wiring connection. Anyone see why I prefer solder to crimps?

The entire procedure, with photos and diagrams, is here:

https://gm.oemdtc.com/3541/14710-ill...-gmc-terrain/5
rcweston (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
maxwedge
A990 racer

Nice work Blue. The Magnusson/Moss act is designed to make a dealer or manufacturer prove that any condition the vehicle experienced would have a direct damaging effect on the component in question. If you purchased the vehicle with the express understanding you had no warranty standing, then that's it. If that did not occur, I would make the dealer aware of that statute.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
rcweston
AF Regular

Thanks so much for verifying the bulletin. It appears identical to the one I found also. I don't have another connect that comes with this fix, but I would imagine that the original connector could be made workable again with little trouble.
But the question still stands, How do you go about disabling the system and wiring so that it can be tested and worked on without setting off the air bags.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Plug this into a search engine:

equinox SIR disarm

That should reveal things like this:

http://workshop-manuals.com/chevrole...ce_and_repair/
rcweston (09-12-2017)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD