Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

Rwd Engine Fwd chasis?

Me and a few of my friends are modifying our cars for a local drag track. We know these are some really random cars to modify but they are what we have on hand and we don't wish to pay for more vehicles to upgrade.

My problem is that me and my friends buy all of our parts from specific jdm companies. I have a FWD galant ES (2001) and the engine that we are looking at buying to replace it is a VG30DETT (1995 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo). The frame and the engine compartment are the right size to support the engine, but it is a RWD. the engine can be purchased with a 5 speed transmission or as just the engine. "My question is: If we want to use this engine what would be the easiest way to do it? Convert the car and the mounts to RWD? or buy a different tranny to convert the output to FWD?" or is there some other method we could use to make a conversion?
FeeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

Re: Rwd Engine Fwd chasis?

Another Engine we considered using was an RB26DETT (Nissan Skyline R32 Twin Turbo). But we ran into a similar problem. This engine could also be purchased with a 5 speed transmission with the option of either AWD or RWD. While we run in to the same problem with the RWD tranny i have no idea about the AWD? would an AWD tranny be any easier to install into a FWD than a RWD? or could the AWD more easily be converted to FWD? I don't want all the extra weight and lack of mpg that comes with an AWD, so i would much rather convert this one to FWD.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

One last note the VG30DETT (300zx Twin Turbo) has a 3.0L V6. The same as the '01 Galant that i would like to put it in? is it likely that my Galant transmission would fit with the Engine from the 300zx? pairing the new engine with the old transmission would reduce the horsepower output of the engine as compared to its 5 speed manual transmission, but if it is a much easier fit and less work i may consider it.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

You imply from noting the concern about mpgs that these conversions will be for daily drivers, is this true? If so, frame and body changes usually have to be kept to a minimum, adding roll cages, stiffening, etc., to cope with the added stresses yet still remain street-legal.

If not, then it depends on what drive layout you want to be. FWD (cheapest), RWD (pricier but more options), and AWD (not really an option unless you have some SERIOUS horsepower you want to put down and have the $$$ to back it).

You'd have to look carefully to see if an manufacturer's engine type was used in a FWD as well as RWD configuration to find a tranny that would work...GM's 3800 series V6 is a good example.

The second easiest (hah) would be to modify the FWD to accept the RWD drivetrain. Major issues would be engine/tranny mounts and subframes, firewall, driveline "hump" for the driveshaft, roll cage, and rear suspension anchors.

I'm sure there are others way more into this than I, thus would have much better insight, but I hope this is a decent launch point for discussion.

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.

Last edited by jdmccright; 05-04-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added info
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

That does help some. And we may be using them for daily drivers for a month or two until we can get separate vehicles for daily driving. But they will mainly be track vehicles after that, and we expect to do many modifications to them once we get them off the streets. but for now the only modifications we would like to make is the new engine (And tranny) the removal of the rear seats possibly the passenger seat, and if need be to put in a roll cage.
We would like to keep the car as a FWD if possible. But will modify it to RWD if we cant keep the FWD, or if we dont like the way it runs. I would like to avoid the problem of frame reinforcement that i would need if we converted it to a RWD. If anyone has any advice to help us use the same engine and keep the FWD style PLEASE! tell us! we can get any parts we need to, we live in a junker heavy area where we have access to every brand and style of car if we need parts. thanks :P.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

At one point there was a Galant VR-4 that included an AWD platform, so going with a RWD platform may not be so difficult if you can source the rear driveline for a Galant VR-4 assuming the unibody structure of your car isn't significantly different from the VR-4. I don't recall what years the VR-4 option was available in the Galant.

If you are looking at building something for a drag track, why not consider going AWD? The increased traction may outweigh (no pun intended) the weight added from the AWD driveline.

The 3.0L used in the 300ZX may be the same block as the 3.0L that was used in the Maxima which may enable you to go with a FWD variation. I would be surprised if you were able to bolt up a Mitsu transmission to a Nissan block.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

Yeah, i almost bought a VR-4. There are two of them for sale in my area... one doesnt run. i supose i could use the parts from the non-running one to build an AWD. To be honest id rather have the AWD platform over any of them but it seemed like a lot of work, and im not sure about the weight to output ratio. id have to run some numbers... but my car is already lighter than the curb weight of the 300zx. so i supose the AWD wouldnt be a problem for weight. It might even help the car handle the added 120 ft. lbs of torque.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

But how could i go about converting the new transmission to work with a FWD? or would it be better to find a fitting transmission that is already FWD? I would look for that too but that might take some time, extra money, and may not have the same power output that the original transmission has.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

The VR-4 had the 4G63 engine, similar to the ones in the Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser (as well as Lancer Evolutions). All of which, minus the Evo & VR-4, had FWD turbocharged versions. The VR-4 was also only sold here in the U.S. from '91-'92, so obviously it's a completely different chassis as the Galant that you have now. Of course there were also other "newer" AWD Galant models in other countries, with twin turbo V6 engines. So depending on how different the US chassis are to the JDM or EDM chassis, it might not be too huge of an issue to install a RWD or AWD drivetrain in there. Of course, it will still involve buying a ton of parts from other countries, since your car is set up for fwd right now.

However if you really want to keep it FWD, you're far better off finding a good engine & transmission that is already set up for FWD. There are plenty of FWD cars that are factory turbocharged, or can be build to handle forced induction. There's no way your existing transmission will bolt right up to a Nissan engine. If you're really lucky, you might be able to find a company to make you an adapter kit, to mate them together. You'll be spending quite a good chunk of money for it though.

But if this is your daily driver, you should consider buying a new one while you work on your current car, not after the work is done. Even with a FWD engine/transmission swap, you're still going to do a TON of wiring changes, mount fabrication, axle fabrication, shiftlinkage fabrication, etc. Unless the swap you choose is made specifically for your chassis, your car is going to be out of commission for quite a while.

Not to be rude, but if you have to ask if your transmission will bolt right on to an engine from a completely different manufacture, then you're in over your head already. I think it's safe to say that most car enthusiasts dream about taking a light chassis and doing some kind of unique swap in it. 95% of the time it's just a pipe dream, unless you have some serious fabrication skills & knowledge, or know someone who does & have deep pockets.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
FeeRacing
AF Newbie

no, i don't know a whole lot about engines and transmission. I'm trying to learn, but the only time i am working on cars is in my buddies shop. Which is where we planned to do an engine swap for some vehicle. we figured it would be easier to use one we already owned so we didn't have to pay for a new car. and sell the galant's engine to get some cash for a dialy driver. but now i have my eye on a RWD rx7, which would be a lot cheaper and easier to find an engine and transmission for, a bit more searching and maybe we can make something happen. i knew the FWD to RWD conversion would be mostly a dream, but i figured it would give us something to work on over the summer.
thank you for your help. all you guys. i had some stupid questions and for the most part they are answered. thanks for putting up with my less than knowledgable questions.