Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Commercial Trucks
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
bigfartter
AF Newbie

1989 ford L8000 kingpin removal help needed

I have a 1989 ford L8000 and am having trouble removing the kingpin from the steering. I have everything off even the top and bottom cap. Is there a proceedure for the the removal of the kingpin? I believe that there are retaining key bolts running through the kingpin but I cannot get them out. Is there a good method for this? Also do I need a kit for reinstallation? Any help would be greatly appreciated
bigfartter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
toddman67
AF Regular

Re: 1989 ford L8000 kingpin removal help needed

You will have to get the wedge pin/pins out before it will come apart. It or they (wedge bolts) are either held in with a nut or they will just be pressed in. Clean the axle area up real good and find the small end of the wedge pin. Drive the small side with a punch until it is out.
Then you will either need a good sized sledge hammer with a big punch or for the stubborn ones a king pin press is needed. DO NOT HEAT the axle to remove the king pin. It may crack!
Once a part, you will need a suitable bushing driver set to remove and install the new bushings. Then you will need a reamer to get the proper clearence for the new pin.
A good king pin kit will provide you with the new bushings, king pin, thrust bearing, shims and wedges. Some kits may even provide new grease caps.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
vids1386
AF Newbie

Re: 1989 ford L8000 kingpin removal help needed

kingpin removal can be difficult process which may depend on the age of the vehicle and it's suspension?
There are few steps to follow while removing the kingpin
first step will be Lift up the front of the truck by the jack and secure it on the jack stands then Take off the wheels & tires with the tire iron.

In second step ,Clamp the rubber brake line close to its connection with the steel hardline using the brake-line clamp & Disconnect the brake line leading to the back of the brake drum or brake caliper using the line wrench.

In Third step we have to Remove the dust caps on the top and bottom of the kingpin,
which is the vertical piece of steel connecting the steering knuckle to the I-beam.
Remove the locking bolt in the side of the kingpin using the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket.

In final step ,Place the drift on the kingpin. Hammer the drift with the sledgehammer until the kingpin comes out of the I-beam.
vids1386 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Commercial Trucks