Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
ur_darian
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ur_darian
Ques on Fast and Furious

After the movie Fast and the Furious... what was the dramatic increase of racing percentage in the whole US??? because that movie became the pinnacle of creating this racing world.... and wondering where street racing has been legalized around the world....

darian
ur_darian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 08:06 AM   #2
TatII
AF Fanatic

i honestly see drag racing as a wussy part of racin that has been around since the 50's with hot rods. if you look else where in the world like japan. they would have down hill mountain battles. where two heavily modifed cars would race down a two way single lane road while drifting down a mountain at night. its verrrry dangerious. they also made a anime series called initial D out of this. most people when they see the anime, they find it hard to beleive that people do this is real life becusae of hte skill involved. but me i've saw real videos of two cars racing down a hill. it was a RX-7 FC vs. a white R33 skyline GT-R. its prettty insane to see them two parallel drifting side by side down a narrow ass road and if you crash, you either hit the side of the mountain, or fall off the moutain~!and when drift close enough together, you can even see the tire smoke going on the car. its pretty insane. another form of racing would be autocrossing. thats when you take your car to a circuit. thats what most people thats not from the usa do in this forums. but trust me the stuff from the fast and the furious is wussy stuff compared to the real the stuff you in else where int he world. also in japan they have these tv shows about street racers. mostly high battlers. where you see them in there 700hp skylines burning cops and racin other cars, while doin 170mph. they also would close down the highway one day of the year, for racers to come and duke it out on the highway. they also have shows on drifting contest. where you see people just drifting a set of corners. if you win, then you win recongnizition. if you lose or crash, you total your car on public tv. sooo half of the time, you see car's with no bumper left still drifting away to win. its pretty cool.
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:07 AM   #3
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

i wouldn't say that street racing really increased much after F&F. it's been around since the 1930's when people modified their model Ts and Model As into T-buckets and Hiboys.

Since the release of F&F, i'd say that racing has had an increased profile, as more people are paying attention to it. there are much more wannabes as well, but i'd say that the main hardcore crowd is about the same as it was before.

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
fastrThanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #4
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
on opening weekend for f and f, the local cops gave 40 tickets for speeding and wreckless driving just for people leaving the movie theater parking lot! sad, i tell ya, people see a movie and suddenly theyre all hardcore streetracers.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #5
Firebird
AF Enthusiast

yeah I remember on the news when Fand the F opened they were talking about how cop presence around all the movie theaters was hightened and some of the long, straight road leading out of the towns were blocked to keep people from racing. Pesonally the movie may have opened up many peoples eyes to racing but it opened them up all wrong. It made everyone who stoplight races or drives a fast (or fast looking car) automatically get this reputation like we are all these jackoffs that are going to go out and drive like psychos through city streets and risk peoples lives and shit.

people who race probably drive better than your usual driver anyway because they practice driving fast (so they can win races) plus they care about thier cars and aren't going to wreck it if they can help it.

Personally, I'm more worried about some SUV driving yuppie on his cell cutting me off or wrecking me or some stupid drunk assed mother f***er crossing the center line and killing my ass than some kids in thier "fast" cars who want to race me. that's Hollywood for ya they make a movie, but don't think about it's effect on the people who watch it. or the reps of the people who participate in the activities portrayed the film. there now I feel better.

1989 Nissan 240sx XE(coupe) stock except K&N air filter, and some of the ugliest wheels ever >.<
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
JE123
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
Personally, I'm more worried about some SUV driving yuppie on his cell cutting me off or wrecking me
I couldn't agree with you more. Those damn soccer-moms think they own the road just because they drive a damn SUV. They can take there cell-phone and SUV and shove it.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:50 PM   #7
Firebird
AF Enthusiast

yeah I've had so many of "those" poeple do stupid shit to me like that that i got a sticker for my car that was anti-cell phone it was funny and people who read it I'm sure got the message but a couple of weeks ago some asshole keyed my car I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the sticker but i took it off anyway. I hate when people take shit out on your car cause they don't have the balls to talk shit to your face.

1989 Nissan 240sx XE(coupe) stock except K&N air filter, and some of the ugliest wheels ever >.<
Old 02-13-2002, 10:10 PM   #8
JE123
AF Enthusiast

Man that sucks. I hope you find the bastard who did it.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Firebird
AF Enthusiast

yeah sadly it happend at the local mall so it could have been anyone. so my only hope is that he slides of the road and in to a poll some day (not so he gets hurt just so his car gets all F'ed up), or some jackoff who's jelous like him keys up his shit. I hate people who do stupid shit to others property. like just cause they can't or don't want to or can't afford a cool car they have to take it out on those who can. why cant people just like looking at your car instead of getting all jelous and shit. oh well, it's over and done with I'll just move on I can always get touch up paint for it.

Old 02-13-2002, 11:01 PM   #10
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

yea i dont understand people who can have such disregard of something there jelious of like a car, if they like the car so much why do they ruin it, when i see a 200sx, skyline, lamborghini, or ferrari, i have respect and admiration for that car.
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:31 PM   #11
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
people who race probably drive better than your usual driver anyway because they practice driving fast (so they can win races) plus they care about thier cars and aren't going to wreck it if they can help it.
absolutely agree with that!

i read somewhere about a mom who was concerned cuz her son didnt really know how to control a car well and she was afraid he would wreck it if he ever had to make an emergency manuver or it rained or iced or something. someone suggested to her why doesnt she send him to one of the driving school where they get u on a real racetrack and skidpad and teach u all about car control and stuff like that. she said no cuz "that might give him ideas"
Old 02-14-2002, 12:33 PM   #12
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
street racing and goin to a driving school are two different things. i was almost hit by drivers at the street races b/c they are not paying attention. this was in my car and on my feet. there are too many people trying to do things that they can't do so they can look good in front of all the people there.
its stupid. lotsa people who cant drive getting mixed in with that crowd. and yeah, the really good racers can drive, but if you know how to drive, take it to a track where it is appreciated. even though i drive well, i know that no one else on the road is very appreciative.

they dont understand... i know what you guys mean, and you're right, but not all racers are better drivers.

parents who dont want their kids to learn car control are stupid. they dont understand that it breeds an understanding and respect for the car, and those people are the best drivers on the street
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:11 PM   #13
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

parents who don't send their kids to driving school with bs excuses are basically saying :

i won't send my kid to learn karate because they might use it to do something bad....

i think going to any school will educate you and help you create discipline and respect.

:o

---- and actually i do believe there was a surge of increase in the overall importscene... doesn't matter if it was on the street races, or more people buying body kits, performance parts or race videos... everyone seemed to have gotten hoooked.

most of the increase was due to the amount of bystanders going to watch the races, they tend to do a lot of stupid stuff and get freaked out when someone yells cops and they think they're in the FF movie and start running like crazy.

a lot of people on the street is not safe.

AF TOFU CREW MEMBER #03 - First Rule of Tofu Crew is You don't talk about the Tofu Crew!

Last edited by RiceRocket; 02-18-2002 at 05:54 PM.
RiceRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:24 PM   #14
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceRocket
most of the increase was due to the amount of bystanders going to watch the races, they tend to do a lot of stupid stuff and get freaked out when someone yells cops and they think they're in the FF movie and start running like crazy.
haha! how true! even the mention of the word "cop" and half the people are gone in about 10 seconds! thats okay cuz those of us who dont take off like idiots are left there to race without being bothered by the poser crowd.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing