Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
DB240SX
AF Newbie

need desperate help with leaking gas tank

Hello. My girlfriend has a 1995 Nissan 240SX that she got about 8 months ago. About 3 weeks ago the gas tank sprung a nasty leak. My brother-in-law is ass. man. at a large Nissan dealership's body shop, so we put it on the rack, checked it out and found a crack at the front right top of the tank, RIGHT by the straps.

We replaced it with a used tank and then about six hours later that night, the new used tank sprung a leak/crack in the exact same spot. Btw, pulling a tank is about 8 hours of work: you have to drop all kinds of stuff like the exhaust system and the ENTIRE rear IRS (suspension). Also, a new tank is about $400 (if Nissan had ANY ANYWHERE in the country) and the labor is 8 hours flat rate (that's 8 x $84/hr of labor), just to explain why we didn't pay someone else to fix this.

Realize that I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I believe that the problem is being caused by the 115 degree heat causing air pressure to build-up in the tank.

What I need help with is: there HAS to be a system to release pressure, such as a hose going from the tank to a vapor canister which goes into something like the intake manifold. My Mustang has a system like this. Pressure WILL build-up in gas tanks in this heat.

Does anyone know of a solenoid or system that I should be looking for that's no longer relieving pressure from the tank?
DB240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:07 AM   #2
NismoFreakS14
AF Regular

EVAP System

From the fuel tank the vapors enter the EVAP system line. There is a fuel check valve in the line from the tank to the charcoal canister, this valve prevents fuel from entering the line due to the vacuum pulled during engine operation and/or accidents. From the canister there are several parts, the main purge orifice, constant purge orifice, and the purge control valve.

The purge control valve is controlled by the EGR & canister control solenoid valve via a vacuum hose. The hose runs from the control solenoid valve to the top of the cylinderical canister's purge valve. You will see 3 hoses connected to the valve, the up-most and thinnest vacuum hose is the solenoid control valve. The line running from the purge valve to the intake manifold is the purge line. The line running into the top of the canister itself is the fuel vapor line from the fuel tank.

You need to check these lines, but more than likely you have a stuck valve.

I could go into more depth but I HIGHLY suggest purchasing a FSM for the vehicle. It should outline how to perform emissions system checks.
NismoFreakS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
MACspeedTUNER
AF Regular

Nismo Freak is right. But until you get that checked out, a low budget TEMPORARY fix would be to get a vented gas cap to let off exess pressure.
MACspeedTUNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
DB240SX
AF Newbie

A few hours after posting this my brother in law got a hold of a Nissan service manual. I know exactly what valve you're talking about, but I don't know where it is. One of the Nissan techs. might take a look at it tommorow. Let's hope he finds it quickly and cheaply. Thanks

Mac: we'll probably do something like that if she needs to drive it now.
DB240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:21 AM   #5
NismoFreakS14
AF Regular

He should know what to do with it to test it. You basically just pull a vacuum on the signal line and the valve should open allowing air to be drawn in and out.
NismoFreakS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:20 AM   #6
sr20
AF Newbie

gas tank???

speaking of gas tanks....... i have a 89 240sx fastback and the gas lines is rusted and its leaking ( i smell gas inside the cabin) i popped the trunk and look where the smell is coming from... i opened the round metal thing where the gas line is located ( close to the right side of the spare tire compartment) i see the two gas lines where the tubes are clamped in are rusted.. is there a way to fix this.
should i just put fibre glass in it to stop leaking or change the whole thing?? how ,much will it cost me and how will i do it???
i lost my owners manual and i couldnt find a repair manual in the stores.
can anyone help me with this ???
sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TheLogikal1
Re: need desperate help with leaking gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB240SX
My brother-in-law is ass. man. at a large Nissan dealership's body...

im an ass man too....i like big butts and i cant deny...

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs
kenwood flip out 7'' screen

1995 Nissan 240sx 5 speed (dead)
GP Sports Spec-D exhaust
Custom Carbon Fiber Intake
17'' ricer wheels in Kumhos

hahaha stole this pose off of koguchi...my shirt makes me look fat...ahaha
TheLogikal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX