Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
sunfire96
AF Newbie

Exclamation Help! Starting issue

I have a 94 s-10 4.3 and am having some serious issues in relation to starting. Whenever I turn the key over to start it, it hesitates a lot, almost like the battery is dead but after a second or 2 of forcing to turn over the engine, it kicks in and starts. At first I though my sub was killing the battery, so I have tried driving around one day with the sub turned completely off but still no change. The I figured it might be the timing because I believed the previous owner advanced the timing but still no change. It runs a little better and made a slight difference for a couple starts but after that, it went back to forcing to turn over. I have recently changed distributor as well as plugs and wires hoping it may solve my problem but again, no help. I forgot to mention that maybe once out of every ten starts, it will start "almost" normal.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
sunfire96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
ken_man_1
AF Regular

Re: Help! Starting issue

Is your service engine light on? Have you tried to pull any codes from the computer?

Did you change the whole distributor or just the cap and rotor?

I would first off check the battery's integrity - have it tested at your parts store. They can put a load test on it to make sure it's got plenty of cranking power. I would start there. I've had a few come in like that with the hard crank - it wound up being the starter being weak. If your cables are not tight or corroded that can cause that weak start as well.

Good luck, let us know what you find!
ken_man_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
sunfire96
AF Newbie

My service engine soon light comes on once in a while then goes back off after a while. Actual check engine light has only came on once and it turned off after shutting off truck and turning it back on. I have not had access to a code reader to pull up any codes yet. I just changed the cap and rotor, not the whole distributor itself. And I will get the battery tested Friday when I get my headers fixed. And thanks for the info about the corroded wires. Will definitely get that checked too. Hope I don't end up having to change the starter. And I realized today that if i turn the key VERY slowly when starting it, it turns over more easily. Not sure if that helps in determining the problem but figured it couldn't hurt by sharing that info.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Jandreau
AF Newbie

I have the same problem, i had a 800 watt amp running 2 12"s and about 6 months ago it died when i turned it up loud and i was driving (i was making a turn and it was at idle) and it never did it again till recently. i use my blazer for work so alot of tools get thrown around in the back and i figured it might have put a tear in my main battery lead from my sub to my batter so i completely disconnected it and it still didnt help so i just totally removed my sub enclose and my amp and reverted to just my aftermarket radio.

Ive check and tightened all the possible cables i can think of and ive asked some people what they think and ive gotten it down to either the battery is going bad or the starter is (ive been told its grounding out possibly some and its just going bad by others so im at a loss as on what to do with it). I know that my alternator is charging fine and im almost certain the battery is good. Ive noticed when it sits it does the slow start but if you run it shut it off and within a couple minutes try to start it, it seems to work ok. I just havent had time to get the battery tested and im pretty certain its the starter.
Jandreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
sunfire96
AF Newbie

At least I am not the only one. lol. I got an oil change today and the tested my battery at the same time and my gauge for alternator says it is charging fine so I doubt it is that. I am leaning towards either the starter starting to go or a bad connection just. Havent had a chance yet to take a better look and it hasnt not started yet so not in a huge rush. The day it doesnt work I will have to start searching around. Mine does it sometimes too but not in relation to how long it has sat. Just random. If you figure it out, let me know, and vice versa.
Good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Jandreau
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfire96 View Post
At least I am not the only one. lol. I got an oil change today and the tested my battery at the same time and my gauge for alternator says it is charging fine so I doubt it is that. I am leaning towards either the starter starting to go or a bad connection just. Havent had a chance yet to take a better look and it hasnt not started yet so not in a huge rush. The day it doesnt work I will have to start searching around. Mine does it sometimes too but not in relation to how long it has sat. Just random. If you figure it out, let me know, and vice versa.
Good luck
i went to autozone and had my battery tested because it got to the point where i had to jump it to get it running...it was only putting out 3.5 volts the guy said so i bought there best side post that would fit for like $90 and its been problem free since...it seems a lil faster too ...i say its probably your battery...but then again idk...mine was from 5/05 so it lasted almost 4 years..probably from running my sub 24/7 for 2 years or so...
Jandreau is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
forcing , hesitate , s-10 , starting problem
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis