Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #46
sega32x
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Trans Sport 3.8 Rear Head Removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800
Sorry to hear it...

I am a little lost on how the mechanic diagnosed it with a bent piston... Maybe a bent rod and only if it was hydrolocked while running...

Sorry but the pistons in a stock 3800 L27 are quite good for what they were intended...

Is it possible that you had a rod knock? Some of these engines had some issues with the #1 Main bearings, and at times would wear out more than one main( something we have learned recently watching the failures )

Sorry to hear it tho... But I am not buying the Bent piston theroy... And a rod knock would have also sounded like the piston was punching the head
Thanks, appreciated!

Well he took a look and a listen to it, and said the piston was possibly bent. In regards to the rod knock, wouldnt it be able to sustain its knock without the engine overheating? Thanks!
sega32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #47
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

well if the engine is starting to spin a rod bearing and is binding up this can cause the engine to overheat... and the knock may get worse as the engine heats up and the oil thins out a bit... It sounds a lot like you spun a rod bearing... It does happen.. Been there myself
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #48
sega32x
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800
well if the engine is starting to spin a rod bearing and is binding up this can cause the engine to overheat... and the knock may get worse as the engine heats up and the oil thins out a bit... It sounds a lot like you spun a rod bearing... It does happen.. Been there myself
Yeah, that makes quite a bit more sense, i take it it did not end well for your engine? Trying to decide what to do with the van, hate to get rid of it, but seems there is no other choice!
sega32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #49
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sega32x
Yeah, that makes quite a bit more sense, i take it it did not end well for your engine? Trying to decide what to do with the van, hate to get rid of it, but seems there is no other choice!
So Far the 95 Transport I have seems like its been through a powertrain replacement... But it does have an unhappy lifter... I will replace those with an AC Delco set that I have when I do the lower intake gaskets..

My 95 Bonneville which has the Series II 3800 Ate up a #4 Rod bearing.. As I was driving back home to WV from Florida... I was on the WV Turnpike not far from where it turns back into I-77 and then catches SR 2 North just before Ohio... I started to notice the engine Bucking more like it was binding up, and with each time it would bind the oil pressure changed... I popped it in neutral and gave it a quick rev and hear the ever so faint sound of a Rod bearing starting to( when you work on them enough, you know the sound ).... I drove another 20 Miles and then pulled into a parking lot, left the engine idling, got under the hood and gave some small revs to see how bad it was... It was not horrible bad yet and I still have 45 Psi steady oil pressure once above idle...

I knew I could get a little more out of the motor being that it wasn't struggling and or overheating at all... I got back in it and drove another 70 Miles to my Home town, for most of that trip I was running about 60 In Overdrive turning the motor about 1400-1500 rpms with he AC Off... But the time I got to my Aunts front door it was a full blown knock... But the car got me there... That was Motor #2 and was low mileage, it spun #4 for no reason... Just happened... I could have replaced the motor on my own, but being that I was 1000 miles from home I didn't have all of the proper equipment to deal with it.. That turned into an $1700 Stay with the family...LOL

Even funnier is that I started that car and drove it 25 more miles to the dealership that replaced the engine for me.. They dissected the engine and told me they don't see many 3800's that do that...

I was really ready to get rid of the car, but didn't want car payments.... So I opted to spend the $$$$ on a replacement motor..

As for your van... Hard to tell you what to do on that... The L27 engine that you have is a dime a dozen... They are all over... But you will risk getting a not so good one... And even then replacement will be a PITA... I'd would be in the same ship as you.... Not sure if I'd junk it or fix it.. Wish i could provide more insight..
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport