Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 3.8 Spewing coolant

DIrty MAF happened to me after some time of operation without air filter and moistened airborne dirt stuck on the MAF sense wire....so I think it does not happen on a sudden. It would retard acceleration several seconds when wanting to overtake..
Disconnecting TCC for a little while costs nothing, risks nothing, and makes of breaks the hypothesis...so I think it could be an easy test.

NOw the "right turn shudder" is something that comes consistently in the forums (mentioned several times too in the Bonneville forum), always on right hand turns, ..and while several hypothesis have been posted, no one came with a definite answer to this idiosyncrasy, of if he found, he did not post it.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
xsmilk
AF Newbie

disconnecting the TCC seems like the next step... as for the right turn shudder ... it does sound fluid related ...I had read a post indicating that low power steering fluid may cause a vibration ... so i checked and i was down a bit but refilling to the proper level hasn't affected the shudder....TCC is Next ... I think I may have two separate issues.... the stalling happens when the van is warn when i shift from park to drive there is a hesitation /surge where the rpm dips... also when stopped at a light it happesn ???? one thing at a time i guess
xsmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
xsmilk
AF Newbie

Merry Christmas.... don't know if if stuffer or just hung over.... ook I disconnected the EGR and got no change in stalling or shudder... but the CEL light is on all the time now ... how do I reset that thing???? I guess the TCC is next
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
LMP
AF Enthusiast

The code for failed EGR will vanish once reconnected...but disconnecting the TCC will also pop another code..but that is just for test...and it will reset also.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
xsmilk
AF Newbie

OK the CEL reset... problem persists and seems to be worse when the engine is warm ..... would the wires( from the plugs) touching the generator or the engine block be a problem? I re arranged them so they are not in contact with anything and not chinked .. one of the front wires was snaked in a tight "s"

TCC... I located it ... ty

now? how do i disconnect the D connector in such a way as to be able to re connect it if this is not the problem....

I see pins (male ... in the socket attached to the tranny? and the female ports in ther connector....) How exactly do i isolate the "D" connection...

sorry If this is a infantile question... this is all new territory for me
Old 12-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #21
LMP
AF Enthusiast

OK...quite often inserting a very fine jeweler screwdriver in a socket connector will allow for unlocking it and extracting it from the plug....I've not done it on this plug ....I'll try to reach one who did exactly that last year and ask how he did it...
..here is the link to the original
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=655200
Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #22
xsmilk
AF Newbie

thanks LMP... I reaad the link but will wait for your reply ... the photos on the link were " not found"
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #23
LMP
AF Enthusiast

This is the reply I had from Josef:

"Hi Louis,
...The Pin in question is very easy to disconnect. I just have taken a needle and pushed it in the upper hole of Pin D, as soon the needle is in the hole, you can pull on the wire and the Pin comes out. After that I Isolated the Pin with a bit of tape and fixed it on the cable. So that in case of need, it is possible to refit it without damage.
I hope this can help!..."
Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #24
Deblaster
AF Newbie

Question Re: 95 3.8 Spewing coolant

I think I am having the same problem but I so happen to be automotive inpaired. I have a 98 Pontiac Transport that drove beautifully, no problems. Over a year ago, it would cut off; I would turn the car off and back on and it would go. I had someone to look at it and they discovered that the coolant was coming out the exhaust pipe. I was told to keep putting coolant in until I could make it to the mechanic. Unfornately, I ended up in the hospital and when I got out, I drove the car a 1/4 mile and it died. It has been in my garage for over a year. When I had asked a mechanic what could be wrong, he said either the head gasket or the head. I need suggestions from this forum as to what you think the issue is and is it worth repairing. Know this, I loved this car. It gave me good mileage and in the snow and rain storms it kept going while other vehicles gave up. The battery is just over a year old (changed the battery just before the van started acting up) and new tires were purchased 6 months before changing the battery.

Last edited by Deblaster; 02-14-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Deblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #25
xsmilk
AF Newbie

tcc disconnected...couldn't get the pin out so i cut the wire ..... cannot detect shudder because the van continuer to stalling/hesitating in gear....

van will start cold when hot it will start and shut off or start and run...( whatever it feels to do)

when accelerating it is hessitating or rather like its not getting gas( the tach shows loss of rev--- bouncing of needle??) but if i shift to nutral it revs properly..... the loss of power is when in drive ..... I can nurse it up to speed but it's a pain and getting worse.....sometimes the engin will quit in a turn.... when in nutral there is no problem with fuel

The first time this happened was leaving the garage where they removed the nipple from the intake ... they had also done an oil change and had trouble getting the filter off......

if I floor the x there will be hessitation but sometimes will kick in and hold ...
car does not cut out or hesitate in neutral...... ?????

is this a vacuum problem????
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
LMP
AF Enthusiast

I dunno what other tests you might have done since last december...I did not read back all of it..but if not done, I would clear two issues:
- remove MAF sensor and clean wire
www.avigex.ca/xport/maf4864s.jpg
- have a fuel pressure test on fuel rail. Verify for pressure change when plugging/unplugging vacuum hose to pressure regulator.
www.avigex.ca/xport/fuelpressuregauge.jpg
Old 05-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #27
xsmilk
AF Newbie

LMP....Issue resolved...more or less

I was able to get the van scanned and was told MAF sensor was the error,,,So I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it as your suggested.(TY ).. This reduced the amount of shuddering and engin cut off's dramatically... but the van was still shuddering under loaad and around turns ..but much better than before..
Progress
I went back to the forum and to autozone just looking up MAF IAC and TPS to see what their function was and how it would relate to My symptoms....

I was looking at the IAC as the other thing to look at but decided to trace the Wires froom the MAF and eliminate that error and truely while I was rooting around the harness the the idle seemed to keep shifting but the wires had no breaks and the ground was ok

so Back to the forums and auto zone where I clicked on the definition for PVC valve and one symptom of a failed valve is oil in the air chamber befor the throttlebody.. and when I cleaned the MAF I had removed the chamber and it was sick...
so I inspected the PVC .. It seemed fine so I discounted that.... I had decided to just replace the MAF and The IAC as the best bet ...

There was a post on this forum I read a while back where a chap had all sorts of trouble ( similar) after visiting a quickie lube place. Apparently when they do the oil and filter they check any accessable filters including the PVC valve.......

NOw My woe's began LAst Last JULY (2007) when I had the van checked out befor I headed out east with the family... we changed a ball joint and the accessory belt checked the breaks and did an oil change.....

on my was home from the shop I got my first shudder... I took it back to the shop to diagnose and ended up changing plugs wires which seemed to help but the symptoms returned on the trip

The symptoms got progressivly worse but manageable as time wore on and I had resigned myself to a TCC problem that I would not fix and hobble through till the next Drive clean and scrap the car....

In December... I broke the nipple leading to the intake manifold which started this post... that fix also included an oil change..( it was convienient) and the first time it cut out on me was in the parking lot of that garage ... thinking it was more TCC stuff I didn't take it on.... as the shuddering aand stalls increased I finally tookk the big step of disconnecting the TCC ( I'm not mechanically inclined ) it was quite easy... I cut the wire..... no change in shuddering and stalling....

so here I am after getting the codes read anf following a Throttle body remedy...... yesterday I was doing an oil change on my integra..... went to crappy tire for a filter and a drain plug and while I was waiting for the kid to find me the right drain plug I picked up a $2.99 PVC valve for the Van...what the heck It couldnt hurt right?????

Did the oil change on the car and the wife is off

I remove the existing PVC valve and notice the o-ring not seated right... so I seast it on the new pvc properly and reinstall.... I jump in the van to head to the wreckers to find a MAF.......... NO MORE shudder... NO More Stalling..... WTF??????

All my symptons originate at a "shop" where an Oil Change was done apparently they do check the PVC when this happens..... when I changed the PVC and re seat the o ring.... all my symptoms vanish..........

In the other post a mechanic had found the O ring from the PVC valve missing altogether... apparently that guy spent quite a bit for a toonie part....

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=419777

http://www.lindertech.com/newsletters/nwk10~04.pdf

I got a slight shudder last night(I mean really silght) I'm thinking some throttle body cleaner ( will that harm anything???) or maybe I really do have a TTC issue now..lol... In any case

The Old Horse Is back in action..

Much Thanks.... Sorry for the novel but this story had to be told

LMP TY for your responses

Last edited by xsmilk; 05-15-2008 at 08:55 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport