Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Beretta
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
jklatik
AF Newbie

89 Beretta hot start issues?

Hello All,
I have a 1989 Beretta with the 2.8 and manual 5 speed MG2 transmission that I just purchased for 750 bucks. Unfortunately it wasn’t taken care of all that well but considering the age of the car I guess I should have expected that. My issue is that it seems to start fine most of the time and run pretty smooth with a miss here and there but the problem is when I shut it off it will not start right back up. I have to let it cool down for awhile and then restart it. Not sure what the deal is, also from time to time it will die when coming to a stop at a light or stop sign. Any help would be appreciated.
jklatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Re: 89 Beretta hot start issues?

hi jklatik, i guess if it were mine i would start with the basics, do a tune up,check the filters,air and fuel and run some injection cleaner through it. maybe clean the throttle body and then work from there.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
jklatik
AF Newbie

ok so i replaced all filters (Fuel, air and oil) did oil change and new plugs and wires. Also replaced the belt ICM and three brand new coils! well it started and ran great for about 15 minuets. went down to the corner store and when i went to leave it started, reved high and then died. i tried to restart and nothing. i checked the spark and it was great, so thirty minuets of sitting there and it finally started. so i leave and on the way home it would cut out on me. not sure if its the fuel pum or a relay or what, but i made the trip twice today and both times was the same situation. any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Hey jklatik, its early and and i am trying to remember does yor car have a mass airflow sensor? If it does you could try cleaning it. How far is the corner store? I the engine fully warmed up when this happens? Wow youve have done a lot to it so far, sometimes these problem are hard to track down. Is the check engine light on? I think if it were mine i would probably check all the electrical connections to sensors next, clean throttle body, mostly do the basic diagnostics and work from there. Sorry to ramble on hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
jklatik
AF Newbie

Well, the store is about ten miles away. I let the fan cycle two times before i leave to ensure its at operating temp. Now the other things i have replaced over the weekend. Fuel pump, fuel pump relay, TPS and Ignition switch and a brand new ECU. same problem, it will just cut out on me while im driving. Finaly got it home and let it sit and idle until it did it several more times. Sometimes i was able to tap the pedel to keep her going and sometimes it will just die. Now my 750$ car has over 500$ of new parts and i still cant figur this damn thing out...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Hi jklatik, wow you have been busy! I wish i didnt live so far away...i would like to be there to help you with that car. It seems to me this is just a guess that maybe you have a intermitent electrical problem, maybe a shorted wire or poor connection maybe. You have just about covered everything else, i would not spend anymore money on parts until i double check the wiring and connections, it cant be a very serious problem i dont think, just something minor you overlooked. When you get it fixed it should be very dependable. Just dont give up yet! What did the plugs look like when you took them out?
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesslcx For This Useful Post:
jklatik (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
jklatik
AF Newbie

ok, boy were you right. I GOT IT FIXED!! I can’t believe it but while looking at the injector harness I moved the connecter that goes to the alternator and bam, sparks and smoke. so turns out the wires that go to the alternator are in a very tight spot by the power steering pump, almost didn’t see them and actually thought it was the crank position sensor harness, but after removing the alternator I found it. The connector has three wires to it and they were all cooked.. I replaced the connecter and all the wires. No more problem.. And it actually runs a hell of allot better. Thank you for all your help and you are very correct, with everything I put into it, it should be great for quite awhile.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Hello jklatik, thats good news! I knew you would fix it, the most important thing is never give up. take care!