Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Solstice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
First Thread on the Solstice!

I, personally, like the Pontiac over the Saturn Sky... Don't ask me why, but I am more attracted to its styling.

Other input?

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: First Thread on the Solstice!

Haven't seen the Sky. I like the Saturn concept, though. Solstice is an awesome "little" car. It looks like a Miata on steroids... In this past issue of High Performance Pontiac, there's one available with LS6 in it! Add 20K to the price, and you too, can be blowing the doors off Vipers and 'Vettes, right and left... It's one of the aftermarket conversions. Looks like a MONSTER!

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
brass_monkey93
AF Regular

I love the solstice. When they first came out I almost sold my firebird to get one, but i just couldnt go down in engin size (even though they are very similar in HP rating)
Jet Performance Chip
Ram air hood w/ functional air box
brass_monkey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #4
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Im suprised they arent faster with the v-8's. Some vettes can hang with them, even with the v-8 in it. I have an old motor trend magazene showing a 2003 C6 pushing mid 11's bone stock.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
nippjas
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturntangerine
I, personally, like the Pontiac over the Saturn Sky... Don't ask me why, but I am more attracted to its styling.

Other input?
Actually I like the Sky, I know it's preference. I ordered a SKY-Red line and my delivery is into February of next year.

No I'm not trolling, I was looking for info on the Solstice V8. I was sitting behind one yesterday at Walgreen's right after my wife and I left the Saturn dealer, who has a couple of the Sky's that I was able to check out. This at first glance looked like an ordinary Solstice. Then I noticed the dual exhaust and the Solstice V8 molded into the rear bumper apron. I heard they were going to release a DOD V8 with 300 plus HP, but I didn't realize it was already reality... Or is it? Is this aftermarket? Didn't appear so but I've been wrong before.

Wish I had a camera with me.
nippjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

A solstice with a 600HP supercharged corvette engine is available. Other engines and conversions are orderable as a kit. Not sure if you have to bring em a stock Solstice to mod or if they will get one and mod it for you, or if you can order the kit and mod it yourself. But since they have a 25,000 mile warrenty, i would imagine they build them..Chekkit out>

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

Heres another thread on the topic over in the firebird forums

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=587626

I think the numbers they claim may be a little underestimated. A car that small and with that kind of engine should be able to hit low 11's, and should be able to get at or aound 3.8 seconds 0-60. But the emissions crap (cats) and other safety issues may have them limited somhow, like TCS ect.

T
Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
nippjas
AF Enthusiast

So it is likely the car I saw was not a factory V8?
nippjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
LIONS*LEADER
AF Newbie

the car is 2860 pounds , with the conversion im sure it adds a signifigant amount of weight what with the engine, and everything else they have to replace in order to handle 600HP. im sure it weighs just about the same as the corvettes do (3200 lbs). and the tires are 10.6 inches wider on the corvette than on the solstice. i dont doubt that the numbers are correct.

which makes me wonder why mr peabody thinks they will blow the doors off one? i bet the 600hp would beat the 505hp Z06 , but would the 505 hp solstice conversion beat the 505 corvette? if at all certainly not by much.
LIONS*LEADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Hes right a lot of Vipers and Corvettes wouldnt come close to the little car. On a track im sure you would walk by several of them, but not all of them. I say they both have the same potential considering they can accept the same drivetrain. But the real issue here is cost. You could take either and stuff a Lingenfelter twin turbo setup and run them down to low 9's on the 1/4 mile, but i believe the solstice will win on every occasion, considering the cost of the actual car itself.

With enough money you could take either car, put some wings on it and a 50 cal turret, and mow down the competition from an aerial perspective.

T
Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
LIONS*LEADER
AF Newbie

explain to me why you would think a car with the same engine/hp/torque rating that most likely weighs more, no longer has a 50/50 weight distribution, and has skinnier tires would beat a car that was made with the engine to begin with, weigh's less most likely, and has fatter tires?
LIONS*LEADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Explanation = $$$

Does every vette weigh less and have fatter treads>?

Seems to me about 40 years of past corvettes (wich you see a LOT more of than the new ones) wouldnt stand a chance against the Solstice. And just because the tires are wider doesnt mean a lot really. The skinnier tires actually put more pressure on the ground, per pound of the actual car. Wider doesnt always mean better. Sometimes it means worse economy and more resistance. Wider tires also have a tendancy to find more flaws on a roads surface.

Science project: Hit your hand with a tennis shoe, using exactly 5 pounds of pressure. Seems like nothing but a slap on the hand. Now hit your hand with exactly 5 pounds of pressure using the claw end of a hammer.

Solution: Even though you used 5 pounds of pressure on each, the hammer will send you to a hospital, because the same energy was exerted on a narrower path.

Reflection: Now imagine your hand is the size of an intersection, and your hitting it with somthing the size of a tire.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
RX-7 Steve
AF Regular

I haven't driven a Solstice yet, but I like the exterior styling; good looking car.

vintage-red RX-7 twin-turbo
RX-7 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
autowebsite
Banned

spam removed by Moderator

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 11-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
autowebsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Solstice