Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
Unhappy The cars of old

Whatever happened to the days of the '66 GTO, the 69 Camaro, the hemi cuda's, the chevelle's, the Mustang Fastbacks, the 79 Z28 camaro, the 69 Monte Carlo, and all the great muscle cars that used to stand out from the VW's and the fastly growing import market. I'll tell you what happened.. GM, Ford, Dodge, they all went to hell in a breadbasket... With the dissapointment of the Monte Carlo SS not being fast enough, the removal of the WS6 and the Camaro from the lineup. The displacement of the Dodge Viper for more HP. The mustangs that FORD actually made. Sure The SVT's and Rouch mustangs and Saleens are great but when is Ford going to come out with a car with HP higher than 300 other than the Bullit. And GM is coming out with the new GTO but you know what, it looks like a Grand Prix with three headlights. I want the iron and i want the EPA to leave the auto industry alone. I want fast cars that make the RICERS go wow, American cars are offering more again. I go to the Indy dragstrip every year for the U.S. summer nationals, and listen to my father reflect back to all the cars that made American muscle American muscle. None of the ecologically sound BS we have now a days. OOHHH!! the exhaust is creating to much smog. The world isn't going to end until Jesus gets back anyway so why not have fun while were waiting. But my feeble request will never be heard or put to light anywhere so i guess i'll just leave the thread at that.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:10 PM   #2
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
I agree with you, I think that the big 3 actually need to release a car that isn't made of polymers and has a displacement bigger the 5.0 liters. Time to bring the 351 back to mustangs, 396 to camaros (even though the car nolonger is made), and the 383 (or a nice 426 Hemi), back in something.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 08:48 PM   #3
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
very insightful josh, i agree totally. As much as i like the looks and sounds of the Import cars, they are nothing compared to the pure strenght behind a muscle car. and when i say nothing, i mean, if you dont add all that turbo crap to it or add all the intakes, or import a certain engine then basically a lot of imports arent that great, when you bought a muscle car, you knew what you had, and it usually didnt disappoint. I honestly think that another way to get muscle cars back into the spotlight is to market them for a price that you dont have to be completely loaded to buy, sure the camaros and mustangs are decent priced-- when they are the smaller engines. and what about the vipers? why have to pay so much, granted its probably worth the money, but the high price means less sold. but i guess it hasnt caused a problem yet, so ill shut up on that. anyways, back to the topic all i gots ta say is muscle car enthusiasts should be very saddened and disappointed with todays market(as im sure many of them are) because i know i am.

*sniff sniff* bye bye WS6 and Camaro SS *sniff sniff*
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

you might rag on me for this but gimme an 86-87 grand national. unless you like turning
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Are you kidding, the Grand Nationals are great cars. I would trade my T-Type in a heart beat for one of those, even though the T-Type probably handles a lot better.

AF User Guidelines

Old 02-08-2003, 06:11 PM   #6
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

my friend has an 86 GN with a 4.1 chevy engine bored to a 4.3. he's gets around 420+ hp running 14 psi(adjustable at wastegate) it's an all out sleeper though. Can't wait til this crappy NY winter is over so we can go cruisin again.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Z28Josh, your post was very well put. Cars these days just aren't made like they used to be. I would rather have my '66 Goat than most new cars out there. What makes me even more angry is the great muscle car GTO coming back as a very normal looking Pontiac. It needs more muscle, rather than just being a V8 Grand Am. Ford's Mustang GT concept shows a lot of promise, but I think if anyone brings muscle cars back, it will be Dodge. Just my 2 cents.
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

I like that new gto. 365 hp not enough muscle???
Old 02-09-2003, 07:50 PM   #9
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

It is not the engine that dissappoints me. It is the styling. There is no hint of muscle car in the styling other than the GTO tags.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:10 PM   #10
thecarman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by SuPeRcAr_MaN
It is not the engine that dissappoints me. It is the styling. There is no hint of muscle car in the styling other than the GTO tags.
Yeah I totally agree. I was excited to hear about it coming out, but when I saw the pictures of the car for the first time, the flame within me when out again. Just nothing like the old ones. Nothing like my 66 GTO that is sitting in the garage.

There is just something about driving and hearing that thing roar.
thecarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:49 PM   #11
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by thecarman

... Nothing like my 66 GTO that is sitting in the garage.

There is just something about driving and hearing that thing roar.
That's funny, I have a '66 GTO too. I got mine last august in Hatboro, just north of Philadelphia for $3,000. It has a 421 in it, but needs tons of work. The pics are in an earlier post.

I think the V8 in the new GTOs will give a nice sound, maybe after a little modifications, and it will probably be a lot of fun to drive. It is just lacking the muscle car look. '66 was one of nicest GTOs by popular opinion, and I can't pick out one similarity between that and the new one, other than the name.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #12
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Working in the detail shop for a Pontiac Dealership, I get to drive the new GTO when we get one

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:51 AM   #13
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ILike2DriveCars
Working in the detail shop for a Pontiac Dealership, I get to drive the new GTO when we get one
Lucky you. Post intensive details after the test drive. Take pictures if you can, may sound stupid but I wanna see every part of this car. Have fun!
Old 02-11-2003, 10:15 PM   #14
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Hey ILike2drivecars, you know just as well as anyone else that the GTO is not up to par with GM standards in styling(maybe they should have had Harley Earle design it) Jon i know you know about cars so don't go bragging about how you get to drive that undermodeled car. I love the fact that they are trying to bring it back out, but it looks like they lost ambition when they put it up on the drawing board. Since they are not going to bring back out my beloved Camaro, it should be time for a Firehawk revival shouldn't it? Anyway, when they start brainstorming they need to come up with a little more ideas than what i've been seeing from GM lately (i.e. New Sunfire)\

JJ

AF User Guidelines

Old 02-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #15
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

I agree somewhat with what was just said. But you make it seem that GM has such superior styling. I dont agree at all. Buick is wrong in using Harley Earle to pitch their new cars because he would design things that are ten times nicer than the old-guy cars that Buick designes. John DeLorean is still alive isn't he? Bring him back to GM to get some ideas. Cadillac is stepping ahead with their styling, and I am glad to see that. The CTS, Escalade, and XLR are three of the nicest vehicles out there. GM needs to branch out from Corvette being their only true sports car. Bring back the Camaros and Firebirds, redesign them and make them more powerful. This is just a few of the many many things GM needs to be doing with their Vehicles that they just aren't.