Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #16
RandomTask
Banned

Re: Re: Muscle Cars Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave ESPI
Define "Sportscar"

Define "Musclecar"

There is a very thin line between the 2.

Long live Ferrari GTO !

IMO: Muscle car = car that was not really designed to be overly powerfull, but gave the buyer a lot of bang for the buck and yet is still pratical.

Sports car = 2 seats and not even room for a bag of golf clubs or a Lawn chair and a case of beer.
I can't agree with this opinion. You could get a 1970 plymouth roadrunner (or challenger or 'cuda) with a 426 Hemi that put out 425hp/490ftlb of torque but no radio. COPO Camaros with 454 Big blocks... Extremely practical... Race them on sunday, sell them on monday. Not a lot of kid bearing mothers raced to the showrooms because they thought these cars were practical... It was a war of bragging rights. If you have ever heard a big block muscle car idle, I dare you to tell me how practical that is. And these cars came from the FACTORY that way...
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #17
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Re: Muscle Cars Today

yea i guess i never really read Dave's post, its not correct at all(the muscle car part). so i will agree with task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #18
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
How many people here have actually riden in, or driven the new GTO? I, for one, have. That is a sleeping beast(just like '64). I am a Mustang lover, fully supporting the Cobra's new supercharged apparel, but you have to love that deep, throaty, naturally aspirated V8. The manual tranny in the car shifted like butter(even not being aquainted with the layout or clutch). The powerband never fell out, and it stuck to the asphalt like glue. The seats were practical yet well bolstered for racing. I had my doubts about this car, but not any longer! As much as I love my Fords and Mustangs, I would have to think twice if I had 35 g's in my pocket. Favorite muscle car-'69 Mustang Boss 429
Rod&Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:25 AM   #19
RobbieHux
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to RobbieHux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLad10687
Pontiac has ruined the name GTO by putting out semi fast sedan that looks no more special then a grand am and slapping GTO on it. Where are the trademark lights? the trademark speed?...its a disgrace

the new GTO is actually a Holden (Australian company) Manaro with Pontiac badges on it. Holden is apart of GM but they design and make thier own cars. The Manaro has been out in Australia and New Zealand for about four years now.
RobbieHux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:17 AM   #20
Fyter87
AF Regular

So what a Nova considered? LOL! maybe a Dumb Question. I was curious!
Fyter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 AM   #21
Ghost74se
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin582
Hi all. I'm just an old retired foggie sitting around the computer and ran across this site and love it. I love all cars, but I like the old ones better. Anyway, muscle cars to us in the 1940s and 50s were big mostly 4 door cars with V8 engines. To me the last of the muscle cars was 1959 Cadillac. We didn't have good definitions of what was what back then like we do now either. Old habits are hard to break.

Most people believe that the muscle car years didn't start untill the Tempest GTO, in 64. Also, most people believe that 10 years later, the muscle car was effectively dead. I am one of those people.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #22
tyrugh5v
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost74se
Most people believe that the muscle car years didn't start untill the Tempest GTO, in 64. Also, most people believe that 10 years later, the muscle car was effectively dead. I am one of those people.
Most people agree with your claim--64 GTO first muscle car. I don't. I would have to give it to either the first Impala SS 409, or dodge or Plymouth 413 or 426 wedge 62 or 63. Those bodies turned into the 65 Mopar intermediates. Or how about ford Galaxie 406? Early 60's full-size were similar in size and weight to mid to late-60's intermediates.
Early 70's muscle cars got smaller. duster 340, nova 350. They died with the advent of catalytic converters, air pumps, and 2.45 rear ends.
tyrugh5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #23
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

this is an old thread, don't post in it, moderator please lock.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars