Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
mtsav8or
AF Newbie

2002 Grand Prix MPG improvement and Check Engine Light gone!!! fixed by chance

I've owned this 2002 Grand Prix 3.8 NA for about 4 years now and it now has about 160K miles on it. I've put about 70K of those miles on it and it's been rock solid dependable. However, I've consistently only got about 20-22 mpg and have had a check engine light for that entire time until recently.

I've replaced the Cat. Converter, all O2 sensors, spark plugs, cleaned the MAF (twice!) and had finally given up that I was ever going to resolve this problem and would have poor fuel economy. It's always ran great so I figured I could live with it.

A few weeks ago, I was getting it ready for a 400+ mile cross-country trip. You know, checking fluids, changing the oil, cleaning the air filter, checking tire air pressure.

While I had the air cleaner assmbly apart I thought I'd use what was left of my MAF cleaner to clean the MAF sensor one more time for S&Gs but ended up using most of it on what I think is an air temp sensor on the plenum.

So I'm about 6 hours into my trip and I'm watching the gauges and notice that my tripometer is at around 350 miles and my fuel gauge is still at around 1/2 full. OK, the most I've ever got out of a tank of gas is 370 miles so I'm panicking and looking for a fuel station. I figured the sending unit in my fuel pump is flaking (it does have 160K miles on it) and I'm about ready to run out of fuel.

While fueling up, the pump kicks off early (if the car was empty) and I'm starting to wonder if something else is wrong. I checked my mpgs after I finish fueling and I was shocked! 29 MPG!!!! The previous owner used to get this mileage all the time but I had never got better than 24 mpg.

So thinking this was a fluke, I've been keeping track and my mpgs are consistently higher with the last tank of combo driving at around 26 mpgs. As an added bonus, my check engine light has reset itself and has been out for a couple of days now.

So, if you've got a light that won't go away and getting poor mileage, buy a $5 can of MAF sensor cleaner, clean your MAF sensor and the air temp sensor on the the plenum. If you've got a K&N or similar filter, clean it and oil it only lightly.

Good luck, it worked for me and maybe it will for you too!
mtsav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mtsav8or For This Useful Post:
iamsam2010 (09-17-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
Re: 2002 Grand Prix MPG improvement and Check Engine Light gone!!! fixed by chance

Nice to know you figured it out and thanks for letting the forum about it!

For future reference the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is located on the plastic snorkel between the throttle body and the air filter box.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olopezm For This Useful Post:
iamsam2010 (09-17-2011), mtsav8or (07-11-2011)