Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 1st Gen 95-99
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
DAVE K
AF Newbie

98 neon Won't idle

I have a 98 neon dohc 5sp that runs(ran) great. I changed the oil sending unit a couple of days ago and had to remove the throttle tube to the air cleaner housing +housing and a few odds and ends to give myself room to work.
OK it was still a dog getting the sending unit out but... anyhow got it all back together and double checked all the vacuum hoses. Test drove it and it ran great and no oil drops.
Drove it about another 2 1/2 miles to get my boy and still running aces.Next day took my daughter to BK and it started dying when it idled down. Drove home using the E-brake so it didn't die out at every stop. I did tap out a not so good looking air filter before putting things back together.
Wouldn't idle enough so I could check for leaks, however after taking it apart again to remove the air filter it ran good so I thought problem solved and got a new filter but it runs choppy(at least I can take my foot off the gas) and dies out under a load. Like I said it ran great before I had to go change a leaky oil sending unit. God help me if I get a flat! THE END

P.S. no doubt this is in the wrong place huh?
DAVE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
DAVE K
AF Newbie

Re: 98 neon Won't idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE K View Post
I have a 98 neon dohc 5sp that runs(ran) great. I changed the oil sending unit a couple of days ago and had to remove the throttle tube to the air cleaner housing +housing and a few odds and ends to give myself room to work.
OK it was still a dog getting the sending unit out but... anyhow got it all back together and double checked all the vacuum hoses. Test drove it and it ran great and no oil drops.
Drove it about another 2 1/2 miles to get my boy and still running aces.Next day took my daughter to BK and it started dying when it idled down. Drove home using the E-brake so it didn't die out at every stop. I did tap out a not so good looking air filter before putting things back together.
Wouldn't idle enough so I could check for leaks, however after taking it apart again to remove the air filter it ran good so I thought problem solved and got a new filter but it runs choppy(at least I can take my foot off the gas) and dies out under a load. Like I said it ran great before I had to go change a leaky oil sending unit. God help me if I get a flat! THE END

P.S. no doubt this is in the wrong place huh?
OK so I feel like a dope. Turned out to be as simple as PCV valve.
DAVE K is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 1st Gen 95-99