Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
kenman1717
AF Regular

spare tire hoist problem 2017 silverado.

We had three 2017 Silverados in the shop today for new mud tires and mudflaps. Anyway when we went to put the spares back in on all 3 trucks, none of them would go back up with the weight of the tires on them. Without the tires/wheels the went up fine. When it happened on the first truck, we just figured it was faulty, but 3 trucks all with 100kms on them brand new off the lot, there has to be something else here. I looked in the owners manual to see if it said anything about them like it did on the late 2000s ones with the stupid safety catch. All it said was it needed the weight of the tire/wheel to work properly. I called the dealer and asked them if they've had or heard of any problems with these hoists where they are faulty and have to be warrantied, they didn't know what to tell me. Has anyone else heard of this. When I first thought they faulty I figure the were made in china with poor quality materials, but they actually have USA product stamped on them, I guess that doesn't mean everything came from there though.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
kenman1717
AF Regular

Re: spare tire hoist problem 2017 silverado.

I think I figured out what the problem is. I couldn't believe that it was 3 faulty tire hoists on brand new never driven trucks. So I popped off the little plastic guide tube that attaches to the hoist and measured the square drive where the tool slides on and compared it to the Chevy spare tire tools we were using which came out of a 2007+. The measurement was considerably smaller, so it must of been slipping. My guess is GM decided to change the size of that square drive. I checked my master spare tire tool kit from Thexton and it had 2 female square drive and one was smaller than the other. I compare those ends to the tools we have at the shop and the actual one out of one of the trucks, and that was the problem. Again why couldn't the engineers just leave a good thing alone.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: spare tire hoist problem 2017 silverado.

smaller is cheaper and remember shorter life !
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion