Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
rpp1
AF Newbie

Electric Cars

I'm planning to get a new car within 2 years.
It seems that the building of electric cars are starting to pick up.
If I bought a gasoline powered car now does anyone think it will be obsolete in ten years. I'm thinking in terms of gassing up and service. Will gas stations and combution engine parts and mechanics will be available by then?

Regards,
RPP
rpp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Electric Cars

I highly doubt internal combustion engines will be gone in the next 10 or even 30 years. The electrical grid is already strained as it is and the technology just isn't there yet to support a nation full of electric cars. Range isn't there yet on electric cars either.

Until you can drive across the US (or Canada) with an electric car internal combustion engines will continue to be around.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
bernteck
AF Newbie

Changes in the design of all cars are moving fast. Parts availability will be a problem with all older cars (10 years)

The new Chevrolet Bolt is estimated to get 238 mile range. But not likely in cold weather.

Buy the car that fits your needs.
Parts availability will be higher for cars models that are sold more.
bernteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
jasongraygits
AF Newbie

Obviously there is not doubt that internal combustion engines are not going anywhere even in next 20 years. Because there are more than 90% people using with gasoline type vehicles. And this is not possible to vanished mechanics, sales parts or anything for these types of vehicles.
jasongraygits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
Chris V
The Big Meaney

The electrical grid can handle toe slow rollout of EVs. And manufacturing reality means that it will HAVE to be a slow rollout (even if all manufactures switched to 100% electric cars overnight, it would still take 30 years to replace all the cars in jus the US alone and it'll be no problems up grading the grid to handle that).

Remember, most EVs charge at night when power plants are being ramped down, so it would actually make power plants more efficient as they could stay running to maintain the power. Southern California Edison did a study a couple years ago and they concluded with smart charging overnight, the existing grid could handle half the cars in California being EVs right now. And over a 30 year timeframe, all the cars could be EVs.

IN 30 years, used EVs would be a substantial chunk of the market, as well.

So while gas powered cars will be a smaller number of the cars in the total market, I'd say you still have 30-50 years before they become completely "obsolete." especially considering how many 30-50 year old cars are out there right now.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General