Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Falcon | Fairmont | FPV
Falcon | Fairmont | FPV Australian and American versions. Includes the XR6 and XR8 as well as FPV models like the Typhon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
chuckdupp
AF Newbie

'69 Falcon Wagon

Hey yall,

I just acquired an old Ford in preeetty rough shape. I'm pretty sure its the 2.8 straight 6 motor, 3 on the floors.

Well, it ran pretty good for awhile, but would intermittently not wanna start, in which case I'd jump the solenoid. Fast forward a couple months, it won't idle. I start it up and unload a can on carb cleaner anywhere I can. Next time I go to start it, dash lights up but I only get one click when turning the key, just like when I used to jump from the solenoid before, but now that won't get it goin' either.

Have to let it sit for about another month.

Today, I replaced the battery, solenoid, and starter. Same thing, turn the key and I get lights, but that's it. Can anyone here point me in the right direction to gettin' this thing driving again?

It's pretty chewed up and has wires going EVERYWHERE. There's a cable coming off the alternator that I believe is just an extra ground. Pretty ratty car, painted matte black and first gear is top right

That being said, tons of character and fun to work on. I am in Brooklyn though and we have street cleaning so I need to get it going before I start gettin' tickets.

Any help much appreciated!
chuckdupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: '69 Falcon Wagon

My guess is the ground cable from the battery to the engine block isn't making good contact at the block. Oil will leak down into the connection and get loaded up with dirt. First disconnect the battery. Then I would disconnect that lower ground connection and clean it then screw it back together good and tight. After that I'd do the same with the wire that goes down from the starter solenoid to the starter and be sure it is also super clean. You said you put in a new starter. Did you do a good job of cleaning the bolts and bell housing face to make sure a good ground was going through it also?
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Falcon | Fairmont | FPV