Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: Engine stuttering after being parked a month

The float itself isn't really what gets stuck, it's the float needle that does. Sometimes the seal also gets worn and fuel will bypass it and overfill the bowl even though the float is trying to stop the flow of fuel. If you do get a new float, I would also get a carb kit then clean and rebuild the carb while you're in there.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Glenalth
AF Newbie

Running fine again today :/

I did a rebuild on the carb about 10 months ago, so the seals should be ok unless I screwed something up.

I really wish the carb had a little window in it like my brother's old Toyota to know for sure if it was too much fuel in there. It had a problem with the needle, but all it needed to fix it was a couple sharp blows with a mallet to the right spot. Symptoms were a bit different though, it just wouldn't run at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg View Post
have you looked at the distributor cap/rotor? it sounds electricial to me,maybe the
cap got moisture in it,loose wire. did you check each cylinder for firing?(pull plug wire)
I did pop that open, didn't see anything weird or discolored.

Also pulled the plug wires one by one, but the engine was running so roughly it was hard to tell on a couple of them, but it seemed like it was different each time..
Glenalth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
Glenalth
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg View Post
have you looked at the distributor cap/rotor? it sounds electricial to me,maybe the
cap got moisture in it,loose wire. did you check each cylinder for firing?(pull plug wire)
This is an old thread, but I'm finally coming back to poking at this van again...

It does indeed seem to be an issue somewhere between the ignition coil and the cap.

When the engine cuts out there is no spark at all from the cap, but the ignition coil seems fine.

All of the easily accessible wires/plugs between the coil and cap seem fine, so it's a new system for me to delve into. Found some testing info to try and narrow it down, so hopefully I'll have a happy van soon.
Glenalth is offline   Reply With Quote