Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
elementis
AF Newbie

First Car Purchase, Need help choosing car

Hello everybody,
I have just registered to these forums in hopes for help in buying a used car.

You could call me the type of guy that is pretty much car illiterate, the one that usually needs help even with the smallest of car problems. Right now this is due to the fact that I havnt really been around cars that much till this year.

Im 18 years old and about to start college soon and I need a vehicle that can just get me from point A to point B

My budget for a car is around $2000, im willing to bend up to $2500 if it is really worth the buy, but id rather not go past $2000.

Right now im pretty much clueless as to what car I want to get, as I really just dont know whats out there that would fit my needs.

I have a few auto-head friends that I go to with car help, but in choosing a car I get extremely biased opinions from them.

Here are my car needs
I need a car with good milage, something around preferrably 30mpg if possible.

Realibility is a must, It has to be a car that can endure for a while. I need this car to last me a long time so id want a model that has a history for being durable. Im hoping that it would last me well for at least 5 years at a rate of me driving about 20 miles a day. So I guess id need it to last me at about 36,500 miles.

Must be automatic transmission

Parts must be easy to find

and thats about all I need, I just mainly need something that gets me from A to B and has a low cost to maintain.

With that said, what cars would you guys reccommend and why?

Id really appreciate any help I could get! Haha if your helpful enough, maybe I could send you cookies or something =P

When I was looking around I was thinking something like a honda accord or a honda civic, but anything with good quality would do. Although im not sure how 'good' I can get with a budget of $2k

Last edited by elementis; 08-13-2009 at 08:16 PM.
elementis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: First Car Purchase, Need help choosing car

Toyota Corolla would be a good choice if you can find one in your budget range .

Last edited by oldblu65; 08-14-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Senility !
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
princessdiana75
AF Newbie

I don't think $2,000 is going to get you any sort of reliable car, especially if you can't do maintenance on it yourself. I'd find a friend or family member that knows a lot about cars to help you find something in your price range and then have them look the car over to let you know if it's worth buying or not. I would say most cars for sale in your price range would probably need at least some maintenance done to it and they probably won't be very pretty...unless looks don't matter....
princessdiana75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

There is no such as a $2,000.00 car anymore thanks to the cash for clunkers program.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
03cavPA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
There is no such as a $2,000.00 car anymore thanks to the cash for clunkers program.
QFT + 1 million. People I know in the business are saying it has easily added $1000 to used car prices right off the bat and will make it even worse as time goes on.

I've been helping my son look for a used car and it's way past ridiculous now. Nothing on the lots, and what's there is seriously inflated.

Very sad that 2k won't buy a damn thing now, but that's how things are. Even mid 90's models of just about anything are more than that these days.

edit --- sorry, elementis, that wasn't very helpful, but it's frustrating trying to find an affordable, reliable used car. I would just start searching local classifieds and doing some decent internet searching. You'll have to be prepared to do some of the routine stuff like tires, brakes, battery, etc. if you want to save some money on a used car.

We did end up finding a 2000 Cavalier with 96k on it for 2700. The owner took really good care of it and it's in great shape.

08 HHR
95 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT

Last edited by 03cavPA; 09-19-2009 at 10:46 PM.
03cavPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1253420537478

That should give you somethin to look at atleast. there are plenty of cars out there for under 2500 you just gotta know where to look

Use the internet its helpful

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
freedhardwoods
AF Newbie

I typed in any model of Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler with a $2000 dollar limit at autotrader.com and got 74 within 100 miles, and 630 within 200 miles. I am right now thinking about going to look at a 92 Ford Crown Victoria with 143,000 miles priced at $2000.

I have bought 2 vehicles with 200,000 miles on them. I paid $5000 for the van because it was in better than excellent shape, one owner, and had all repair and wash (he had the dealership wash it) records since new. I have put 75,000 miles on it in 9 years and had to make a few minor repairs. I paid $600 for my car. It had some minor cosmetic problems when I bought it, but in 4 years and 50,000 miles it hasn't really had any problems.

I won't say I am an expert at buying cars by a longshot, but I have been a shadetree mechanic for many years and I know a little bit about what to look at in used cars.
freedhardwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
akboss
AF Regular

There are cars out there for your budget, but you have to be patient and careful. Be skeptical about what people are telling you. 'low mileage' - not likely. 'mint condition' - not on your life. 'one owner' - show me. Have a close look at the overall condition of the car, if it has been maintained and properly kept, you will be able to tell instantly. Open the hood! Check out the engine, look for leaks, wet spots, worn or cracked hoses, etc. Look underneath the car too, check for leaks or spots.

At this price point you can't be too picky, have someone you trust that knows about cars look it over. Drive the car on a variety of roads and speeds, make sure there's no highway wobble or screeching at full-lock (sharp turn). Check lights, interior buttons/controls, etc.

Cars I'd recommend? You're on a good track with a Civic, they have cheap and plentiful replacement parts and a huge aftermarket, plus every mechanic that knows how to lift a wrench can fix them. Watch that timing belt though! If it has been neglected and it goes, your engine is toast. Corolla/Tercel/Camry is a safe bet as well. Most Japanese cars of the 90's had higher than average reliability and sold like crazy, so there are lots of parts out there. Mazda Protege is also a good car.

If you can drive a manual tranny (or want to learn - its more fun!) you may get a better deal on your car, they consume less fuel, usually get more power from the motor, and you don't have to worry about the uber-expensive auto transmission replacement.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by akboss View Post
There are cars out there for your budget, but you have to be patient and careful. Be skeptical about what people are telling you. 'low mileage' - not likely. 'mint condition' - not on your life. 'one owner' - show me. Have a close look at the overall condition of the car, if it has been maintained and properly kept, you will be able to tell instantly. Open the hood! Check out the engine, look for leaks, wet spots, worn or cracked hoses, etc. Look underneath the car too, check for leaks or spots.

At this price point you can't be too picky, have someone you trust that knows about cars look it over. Drive the car on a variety of roads and speeds, make sure there's no highway wobble or screeching at full-lock (sharp turn). Check lights, interior buttons/controls, etc.

Cars I'd recommend? You're on a good track with a Civic, they have cheap and plentiful replacement parts and a huge aftermarket, plus every mechanic that knows how to lift a wrench can fix them. Watch that timing belt though! If it has been neglected and it goes, your engine is toast. Corolla/Tercel/Camry is a safe bet as well. Most Japanese cars of the 90's had higher than average reliability and sold like crazy, so there are lots of parts out there. Mazda Protege is also a good car.

If you can drive a manual tranny (or want to learn - its more fun!) you may get a better deal on your car, they consume less fuel, usually get more power from the motor, and you don't have to worry about the uber-expensive auto transmission replacement.
Spot on! Just don't go tryin to pimp out your civic Good eco car, not a good race car. Good luck!

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
wafrederick
Banned

You do not want anything Japanese,worst vehicles to work on.The Japanese do not know how to make electrical connectors dumby proof.Nissan is one that does this,the connecters for the distribitor and the crank sensor are the same on a 2001 Altima with a 2.4 and it will not start if they are plugged in the wrong spots.The engines in the Toyota Corollas are junk and I know one yard in my area,Economy Auto Parts in Muskegon,Mi which does get lots of calls for them.Plus any Japanese Car is a target for thieves stealing the cat off of them,most core buyers that buy junk catalytic converter pay up to $900.00 for a Junk catalyric converter off a Japanese car to anyone that is selling one to them
Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
You do not want anything Japanese,worst vehicles to work on.The Japanese do not know how to make electrical connectors dumby proof.Nissan is one that does this,the connecters for the distribitor and the crank sensor are the same on a 2001 Altima with a 2.4 and it will not start if they are plugged in the wrong spots.The engines in the Toyota Corollas are junk and I know one yard in my area,Economy Auto Parts in Muskegon,Mi which does get lots of calls for them.Plus any Japanese Car is a target for thieves stealing the cat off of them,most core buyers that buy junk catalytic converter pay up to $900.00 for a Junk catalyric converter off a Japanese car to anyone that is selling one to them
You just don't stop failing do you

Jap cars arn't that bad to work on for anyone who knows a rats ass about cars. Aperantly the "electrical conectors" kicked you square in the rear-end. The engines in all eco cars, american jap or euro doesn't matter, are crap when it comes to any amount of HP and Torue. But everyone knows that.....

So your saying I could get $900 of one Jap CAT convertor?? *rushes out side*

Ohh and use spaces

This is goin in my sig!!!
Lol

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshep View Post
Cadillac Escalade Limousine is better. Before going to purchase any car you should take proper advice a professional sales man because they know very well otherwise you can take advise from bank those are providing used or new cars for loan.

__

______

An Escilade limo really? And talk to a pro salesman......... I wish we had a facepalm smilie

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
akboss
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshep View Post
Cadillac Escalade Limousine is better. Before going to purchase any car you should take proper advice a professional sales man because they know very well otherwise you can take advise from bank those are providing used or new cars for loan.
Uuuh, what? You're kidding right, Escalade limousines and taking advice from salesman? The salesman's job is to sell you a car and make the most money he possibly can - if you go in and say 'what do you think, Mr.Salesman?' he will direct you to the car that's worth the least, selling for the most, and has been sitting on the lot for 6 months. Which is probably a Cadillac Escalade Limousine.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
wafrederick
Banned

Cadillac Escalades are easy to steal and are on the most stolen list.Foreign Car companies are known for this: Taking the profits overseas and being greedy.A core buyer also buying junk catalytic conveters that stops by my father's shop said this,$900.00 for a junk catalytic converter off a Japanese car
Shpuker,watch what you say around me and your are pissing me off saying slanderous remarks
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Cadillac Escalades are easy to steal and are on the most stolen list.Foreign Car companies are known for this: Taking the profits overseas and being greedy.A core buyer also buying junk catalytic conveters that stops by my father's shop said this,$900.00 for a junk catalytic converter off a Japanese car
Shpuker,watch what you say around me and your are pissing me off saying slanderous remarks
This post fails on many levels.
1) Cadillac is part of GM which is an American company
2) Back to you and your $900.00 catalytic converters.
3) Back to you and you fathers shop to

And honestly I hope I pissed you off, every single post you make is painful to read. Not to mention every post you make you pationatly try to make a point in which none of the facts you try to state are even true.
now go finish

Quote:
Your quote here!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A