Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #31
danbythesea
AF Newbie

Re: 1988 Ford Ranger No spark

We received the new inertia switch, but instead of installing it. We chose to jump the wires plugging into the existing switch, so the switch is unplugged and wires are jumped.
Truck has been running every-time we ask it to start .....keeping fingers crossed, planning on returning new switch.
So do not throw your truck away, try to bypass the inertia switch....under dash passenger side.
danbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #32
danbythesea
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
This switch is a safety item to shut off fuel in case of a wreck or roll over.
Yes I know, sorry I should have warned people before suggesting to bypass it....I was just so excited that we were able to get the thing to run. We will only be using it as a "yard" plow truck , it will not be going out for "regular" driving, (well not often).

Thanks for the reminder, safety does come first for me as well
danbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #33
madmh
AF Newbie

Yeah, I had the same problem with no spark until the key was switched off then one flash. Damn near pulled my hair out over this problem. Turns out it was a fuse link issue in my case. The voltage was right, just would not creat a spark with the load of the starter running. I hope this helps.
madmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #34
greasygirl
AF Newbie

same problem going on here with 88 ranger 2.3l efi but to make it worse some tweekers got ahold of it before i did and the vacuum lines are a mess and i have a now have mass of wiring coming off the starter silenoid and going into relay and fusable links and god knows where else. i would love a pic of the components properly hooked up on the passenger side firewall. I am not sure whats what and where it goes. I'm not a mechanic nor a demolition expert and this truck needs both
greasygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 AM   #35
dward1957
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrunken_Head View Post
as for the dielectric grease on the terminal and modulde back plate, yes it was put on it. DonSor, that was what we figured on it too, hence the distributor change. We figured all new components would be bullet proof. It is just crazy, according too all wire tests I have done they all have continuity. As for the voltage of each wire I have not checked the voltage of all the hot wires....yet. I had a Ford tech buddy of mine stop by today and he had come to the same conclusion as I did that the ignition module was bad. Can anyone think of any other components that might be in this system? I am at a total loss at this point but I hate to send one home that has beaten me.
if all else fails , I was told for around $100 you can go back to old school with distributor with points and condenser and vacuum , get rid of all that electronic ign. crap
dward1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 AM   #36
dward1957
AF Newbie

I was ld for around $100 you can convert to distributor with points and condenser with vacuum , and get rid of all that electronic ign. crap. I don't think ford thought this one thru .
dward1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier