Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #16
Shrunken_Head
AF Newbie

Re: 1988 Ford Ranger No spark

Okay, just talked to a Ford tech buddy or mine. bare wire is just an insulator and serves no purpose. At the module I am getting power from the coil (thick red wire), getting power from the green (tach/coil wire), and my red/blue wire from the ignition is getting power when you crank it. The only thing we can think of, and everything points to, is a bad control module or bad distributor components. I have a new distributor (loaded) from Ford comming. I'll keep you posted.......If this doesn't work, I believe this thing is going to the scrapper.
Shrunken_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #17
Shrunken_Head
AF Newbie

New distributor didn't change a thing. All ignition components have been replaced. If you all have any more ideas please tell me. I appreciate all the help but I believe this one is going in the trash. Maybe this is why I drive a Chevy.
Shrunken_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
HNTR22112
AF Newbie

Ive got the same exact problem!!! what the heck is goin on here,,, checked and replaced most everything and still no fire,,,,, next step ,,, crusher !!! 88 ranger 2.9 bout done with this truck
HNTR22112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #19
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTR22112 View Post
Ive got the same exact problem!!! what the heck is goin on here,,, checked and replaced most everything and still no fire,,,,, next step ,,, crusher !!! 88 ranger 2.9 bout done with this truck
Check for a loose ground wire on older ones it was by the computer in the left kick panel. The relay should be close by the computer.
Check with a test light for power to coil negative it should blink a test light when cranking. Feel the eec power relay it should pulse when trying to start the vehicle.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
danksauce
AF Newbie

we have the same problem we have been doing so many test and replaced everything. but we got ahold of a breakout box and if this doesnt show me whats wrong i give up
danksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
bigums1
AF Newbie

i have the exact same thing happing to my 86 ranger 2.3L the only thig i got left to do is rewire it and change the cumputer. sombody tryed to getto regg it so i think that may do it. have u cheacked all wires to make shure theres not a short?
bigums1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
danbythesea
AF Newbie

My parents recently purchased an 87 ranger with 2.9... note that engine and tranny are not the originals, it is distributor system. we have replaced all of the electrical components and are still having this "intermittent" problem, will be okay for an hour or a day, then no spark. Have any of you found the problem yet. My parents spent good money on purchase of truck, parts and plow (truck is to be used as snowplow for giant driveway.....this winter!!!
Please somebody tell me that you have a solution for this problem,

Desperate
danbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
danbythesea
AF Newbie

please tell me that you found the problem, my parents are having the same problems as your customer
Old 11-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbythesea View Post
My parents recently purchased an 87 ranger with 2.9... note that engine and tranny are not the originals, it is distributor system. we have replaced all of the electrical components and are still having this "intermittent" problem, will be okay for an hour or a day, then no spark. Have any of you found the problem yet. My parents spent good money on purchase of truck, parts and plow (truck is to be used as snowplow for giant driveway.....this winter!!!
Please somebody tell me that you have a solution for this problem,

Desperate
Check the computer ground wire by the battery and where it grounds next to the computer a loose ground will cause these types of problems.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #25
danbythesea
AF Newbie

Ground by the computer is nice and clean, all battery connections have been brushed clean as well
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ground by the computer is nice and clean, all battery connections have been brushed clean as well
Look at the small ground which connects to the big ground wire make sure it is in good condition. The connection that plugs into the module check all of the wires they sometimes break. Did you purchase a rebuilt distributor or did you change the pickup in the distributor?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #27
danbythesea
AF Newbie

Update.....
After much searching and prodding and a great variety of parts replaced. My father found something in the passenger compartment, on the passenger side, on the fire wall in the foot well , up on the left, below the heating cover...
...This find: is the elusive "inertia switch", it "trips" and by doing so shuts down the fuel pump relay, this action causes the computer to shut down spark to coil.
The truck appears to be running, up until the switch t"trips", then resetting gets the truck going again...
We have ordered from Ford @ $ 71.40 can. should be ready by Friday.
Will keep you posted, crossing fingers that this saves the truck, good luck to us all .
Old 12-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #28
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Update.....
After much searching and prodding and a great variety of parts replaced. My father found something in the passenger compartment, on the passenger side, on the fire wall in the foot well , up on the left, below the heating cover...
...This find: is the elusive "inertia switch", it "trips" and by doing so shuts down the fuel pump relay, this action causes the computer to shut down spark to coil.
The truck appears to be running, up until the switch t"trips", then resetting gets the truck going again...
We have ordered from Ford @ $ 71.40 can. should be ready by Friday.
Will keep you posted, crossing fingers that this saves the truck, good luck to us all .
If the new switch trips check the amp draw on the circuit as this is unusual for this to occur.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #29
danbythesea
AF Newbie

We received the new inertia switch, but instead of installing it. We chose to jump the wires plugging into the existing switch, so the switch is unplugged and wires are jumped.
Truck has been running every-time we ask it to start .....keeping fingers crossed, planning on returning new switch.
So do not throw your truck away, try to bypass the inertia switch....under dash passenger side.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #30
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
We received the new inertia switch, but instead of installing it. We chose to jump the wires plugging into the existing switch, so the switch is unplugged and wires are jumped.
Truck has been running every-time we ask it to start .....keeping fingers crossed, planning on returning new switch.
So do not throw your truck away, try to bypass the inertia switch....under dash passenger side.
This switch is a safety item to shut off fuel in case of a wreck or roll over.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier