Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 01:53 AM   #1
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
Racing only within car "gener"?

I have a LS1 firebird, i've done some free/cheap mods. I am putting in Long tube headers and no cats in about a month, then hopefully not too long after that 4.10 gears, ect.

ANYWAYS, i love muscle cars, and HATE rice rockets. Now i don't have anything against the imports that are all show as long as they realize that, but the civics (for example) that have new tail lights, lowered, and crappy exhaust/intake with a TON of stickers thinking they need to race every car around annoy the heck out of me. The only cars i've really raced at mustangs (all 5.0's strangely), LS1 Z28 and Trans Am WS6, and a C5 vette. I've never raced an import, especially the "rice rocket" type ones, there aren't very many import sport cars (VR4, 300zx, ect.) around here that want to race though.

Anyways, do you guys have the same thing? I don't know if its only that i pick to race muscle cars only, or if ricers are afraid to rev up at me (I guess to a ricer a cut-out on my car might scare them), b/c i've never had a rice rocket rev at me, only muscle cars. I dunno...
Old 06-17-2002, 02:12 AM   #2
1320B4U
AF Enthusiast

MOST all motor imports would get ate by an LS1. The turbo imports are a different story. But on the street you have what, like 300ft lbs. at 2Krpm, and thats what matters. Your car was made for dragging from the factory. I've beat quite a few 5.0's and LT1's, but I haven'y had the opportunity to try a LS1. Most people around here who drive them are mid-late 30's+, and there never down.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:50 AM   #3
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

ya, damn those old guys! But you know if some day you ever do get them to race they will most likely suck and lose pretty badly. And i know my car is made for dragging, thats why i like it (not to mention i love the general type of car). What is the fun of racing only the cars you know you can beat? I got beaten by the vette and WS6 LS1, i knew both were putting out more than i was, but i thought it would be fun to just try. I dunno, i guess i'm kinda happy about racing in a car i love against cars i love. But if any decent import pulls up next to me wanting a piece, i won't hesitate to go for it, who knows he may beat me (which would just make me more focused of modding up my car and beating more people, muhahah). Heh.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:43 AM   #4
1320B4U
AF Enthusiast

Keep me informed if you race any fast imports. You got the 6-speed? How bad is the 1-4 skip shift program? You gonna get rid of that? The LS1 has gotta be the baddest V-8 around, next to the LS6 of course. Stock, I heard they dyno 306whp and 320+wtq. Thats crazy, dyno-ing more HP than is quoted at the crank. Damn, full exhaust, intake, the basics - I bet its making some serious power. Its too bad they stopped making them, while the slow mustang is still here. How about the new Cobra, factory supercharged, seems just to spite GM. I bet they would've put the LS6 in the F-bodies. The slow-ass civics are pretty annoying. I had some punk in a old 88-91 boxy hatchback kept messing with me. With his 125hp motor at best, economy geared tranny, and 14x5 wheels, is makes me sick. But a couple buds got the DOHC VTEC going, ones a 97 GSR Integra, the others a H22a swapped 94 accord. Those cars are nice pretty nice, but not REAL fast.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:15 AM   #5
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
I keep having ricers try to take me on, now I have 3.08's which means I have a really poor take off. Yet I still beat many ricers off the line. I took one on, it was "fast and furrious" level of body mods, lights, decals, etc. I took him off the line, and he couldnt even keep up with me *accord* now I know the T/A your sporting would kick my ass, but anytime your in LA county, i'll take you on :bandit: But my thought is, even if your going to win by a mile, if the guy is a punk ass busta, trying to sport something slow thinking hes the fastest thing around, put him in his place. Especally if you have a Firebird to do it with

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:13 AM   #6
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
I have found that here in the Provo and Orem area of Utah most of the imporst are just that, all show and no go. Most of them are diven by some stupid kid that bought an import and took it some where and had all the work done at a shop, probably didn't do a damn thing himself. You do see some with cut springs, so they might have tried to do it themselves or taken it to a crappy shop. It is nice though, sometimes you see well modded exterior on an import around here that has a lot of get up and go. I haven't lost to an import yet, maybe I am just not finding the right ones to race. Once I get my intercooler taken care of and replaced, maybe I'll head down to the track and see if there is anything descent racing in my class, cause' so far all the street cars have been dissapointments.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 02:25 PM   #7
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

ya, i've got the 6 speed. The 1-4 skip this REALLY sucks, but within 2 weeks of me having the car i got rid of it. The LS1 is rated 310hp at the crank from the factory, but on a normal basis i see people putting 300hp being put down to the rear wheels, so GM seems to be underrateign the LS1's.

The '03 cobra if it lives up to what ford says, it is going to be faster than SS's and WS6's. I think its really cool Ford actually stepped up and made a truly fast stang (well....cobra). I heard a report of GM looking into developing a 455cu V-10 for the vette a year or 2 ahead, basically it would beat vipers, but the idea was tossed for now, hopefully someday they'll do it, that would be SO cool.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:18 PM   #8
94svt5.0
AF Enthusiast

In my city, pretty much the only people who will race are the imports. Cant drive 5 minutes without some riced out car running up on my tail and reving up. Waste of my time and gas. None of the vettes or camaros will race, all old dudes. But, there are alot of stangs that try to race, guess they have to prove a GT will run with a cobra. I have run a couple of firebirds in the area though, younger owners I guess.
-superchips power chips
-mac cold air induction
-BBK aluminum underdrive pullies
-pro-m 75mm bullet MAF
-18" konig wheels with nitto 555 zr tires
-Ford Racing 65mm throttlebody
-Ford Racing king cobra clutch
-Ford Racing 3:73 Gears
-Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft
-Bullit suspension/ springs,shocks,struts
-Aubrun HD limited slip Diff.
2002 subaru Impreza RS
- stock
1989 Toyota pickup 4x4
-K&N
94svt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:45 PM   #9
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
most owners of cobras/vettes/firebirds etc are older becase they can afford them.Unline the ricers who can afford a 10g car, and think 2 g's worth of mods makes it fast.

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #10
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
I pretty much will race who ever wants to. I really don't care! I've even raced a Lotus Esprit. It's all in the fun of seeing how you do, and how fast the other cars may be.

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
DemonZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:25 PM   #11
94svt5.0
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by DemonZX
I pretty much will race who ever wants to. I really don't care! I've even raced a Lotus Esprit. It's all in the fun of seeing how you do, and how fast the other cars may be.
To me its not worth getting ticketed or arrested. Only race in, out of town rural areas. And how often do you come up on another race prospect in the country?
-superchips power chips
-mac cold air induction
-BBK aluminum underdrive pullies
-pro-m 75mm bullet MAF
-18" konig wheels with nitto 555 zr tires
-Ford Racing 65mm throttlebody
-Ford Racing king cobra clutch
-Ford Racing 3:73 Gears
-Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft
-Bullit suspension/ springs,shocks,struts
-Aubrun HD limited slip Diff.
2002 subaru Impreza RS
- stock
1989 Toyota pickup 4x4
-K&N
94svt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:16 PM   #12
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Well I do use my judgment. Depending on road conditions, # of other people, intersections, I'm not a stupid kid who is just ready to go whenever. All's I was sayiny is that when the time is right, and someone wants to race, I'll go no matter what kind of catr it is.

"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
Old 06-17-2002, 10:18 PM   #13
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, when I said, "I pretty much will race who ever wants to. I really don't care! I've even raced a Lotus Esprit. It's all in the fun of seeing how you do, and how fast the other cars may be."

All I meant was car type.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:45 PM   #14
joebowlr21
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to joebowlr21
man, you guys have slow imports around you areas.Where i live, every saturday night all the big doggs come out an play, ranging from supra's,RX-7's,3000GT's, 300Zx's,and on occasion a super bright yellow NSX.I love watching them smoke muscle cars, for the fact that most guys with muscle cars out here talk alot of shyt.

Just this saturday, this clean looking 69' Nova with a huge blower raced the yellow nsx.OMG, not only did the nsx smoke him off the line, but was a good 3 car length's ahead the whole time.It's funny cuz the driver of the nsx is my doctor and is around 45 years old.You guys just have abunch of kids with civics driving around, cruise out to the races in valencia and try your hand at those honda's.Let me just say, there quickest civic ran an 11.7 at LACR.Don't just cruise around expecting to find fast cars, you have to know where to find them.Talk to people who are into street racing and tell them you want to challenge a fast import.Word gets around quick, and in no time they will find you.
joebowlr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 01:22 AM   #15
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

True, i gotta find some racing spots. And about those imports you mentioned, i have the utmost respect for them, a lot of them can kick my ass. I don't mind being beaten if the other car is faster, now if i just screwed up driving, then i'll be pissed (at myself of course).