Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #1
stroker
AF Newbie

Is good air conditioning absent from Durango?

I have been sweating all summer in my 2002 Durango RT. The A/C is pitifully anemic both in front and rear. The Dodge dealer in Gilbert, AZ insists that it is functioning as per Dodge requirements. Shameful for a $35k vehicle. Does anyone know of a potential AC upgrade for the Durango?
stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
dish-man-2000
AF Newbie

Yes!!

I've got the same problem with my 2002. I've got a digital thermometer in the A/C duct and it will only pull down to about 50 degrees on a hot day. I've got a buddy who has a Dodge Ram and he can get his down to 34 degrees!! I've taken it to the dealer (it's under warranty) three times and they told me "it's within specs". I finally called the local auto A/C shop in town and they told me that they have had FIVE Durangos in with the same problem. Couldn't get ANY of them below 50 degrees (in fact, he told me if I could get 50 on a hot day, I was doing good!). He said his best customer's daughter is about to sell hers now because of the A/C problem. I bought mine for only $22,000 last fall with only 8,000 miles on it. Guess that's why they sold it: went through one summer with sorry A/C and sold it when the weather got cool!

If anyone knows a remedy, I would be grateful!! I don't want to sell it because I pull a horse trailer and don't want to get a truck (this auto doubles as the family's main car for vacations and all).
dish-man-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
Roadaxe
AF Newbie

Re: Is good air conditioning absent from Durango?

I have a 1998 SLT and it has the same problem both front and back. Would love to here if there is a solution for better AC but, if the dealership can't fix it I would be suprised if there is one. They won't fix mine either.
Roadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
dish-man-2000
AF Newbie

update

I've been doing some digging and here is what I now know. If you put your hand on the black plastic casing of the heater core/air conditioning coil under the dash, you will see that it is VERY hot! I did the same on my 1995 Mecury Villager Van and it is warm to the touch, but nothing like the Durango. Also, if you leave a digital thermometer sensor down the a/c duct AFTER you park the durango and shut it off, the temperature will read in excess of 120 degrees. I believe that either the duct which passes air across the heater core is not shutting all the way, OR the heater core is passing antifreeze across it all the time instead of just when the heater is on. There should be a valve that shuts off coolant to the heater core when the vehicle is NOT calling for heat, but there is no way that the casing surrounding the coils/fans under the dash should be that hot. I would suggest you do the same thing to see if yours is that hot and we may have a pattern. I believe that the air across the a/c coil IS in fact cold enough, but it's getting overpowered by heat coming from somewhere else. I am going to talk to the local A/C shop about this and see if it rings a bell with them. I am getting absolutely ZERO help from my dealer!!
dish-man-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
PopKorn
AF Newbie

You may be on to something. My AC sucks too. Especially the rear. Good thing we don't need it much in OR.

Many modern vehicles don't use a valve to stop coolant from flowing into the heater core. Rather a flap is moved to slow or stop the flow of air through the core. I had a Blazer that worked that way. Turn the knob and you could hear "pshshshshshsh.... thump"
98 Durango SLT Plus 4wd
PopKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
tommychau
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tommychau

I have a 2000 Durango R/T and notice the A/C is not so good but I also noticed something else. Run your A/C in vent mode. You will definitely know this problem will affect your A/C. When in vent mode. At idle and vehicle not moving, temperature coming out the vents can reach up to 30 degrees above outside ambient temperature. Once the vehicle starts to move up around 30 mph or more, the vent temperature will eventually equal the outside ambient temperature. I took this information back to the dealer and explain to them. But as usual, they tell you that the system is within design specs. Durangos do not use a manual valve that cuts off the flow of antifreeze to the heater core which they should. My 92 Nissan Maxima does that and boy, A/C can freeze you to death in teh summer! Anyways, as PopKorn stated, most vehicles just use flappers and or panels to block and seal off the flow of air to the heater core. My suspicions that it may be a poorly insulation problem and the excess heat is penetrating the plastic/metal housing and thus warming the air. My solution to this is going out and buy a manual bypass valve and a T-Valve. So during the hot summer days, when you definitely don't need heating, I just turn the bypass valve to flow the antifreeze back to the return hose and skipping the heater core all together. Now my A/C is running super cold all the time!!!
tommychau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
tommychau
AF Regular

A quick update. I just had my heater core replaced on my Durango from a good mechanic friend of mine. He inspected the vent doors and everything and they seemed to be in working order. After he put everything back together [Dash and all], my overheating vent [non-a/c mode] in cold settings mode disappeared? The mechanic cannot figure this out either. Go figure. Now I can cruise around town at low speeds or sit at idle and my vents are still the same as outside ambient temperature! Cannot wait until the summer gets here to see how cold my A/C gets now!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
boaz55
AF Newbie

Guys, I did auto A/C repair for about 15 years. If I had one that I thought was a heating problem I would take a pair of vice grips and a thick rag, so as not to cut the hose, and temporarily clamp off the hose going to the heater and see if that fixes the problem if so check the in line valve if no valve then install one. C - Clamp can be used in place of vice grips. Flapper and vacuum replacements in the dash are a headache and expensive. The valve installation is far easier and less expensive. I think you are on the right track with the hot water flow being your problem. A lot of times todays A/C mechanics are hired on the grounds that they have a license to handle refrigerants, of all the tests I have taken in different states to handle refrigerants not a one of them required any knowledge of working on the system itself.
boaz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
ciphyre
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ciphyre Send a message via MSN to ciphyre Send a message via Yahoo to ciphyre
Reply to thread: Is good air conditioning absent from Durango?

I see it's been since Aug that anyone has posted, but I figured I would jump on the band wagon.

I am having the same issue with my 99 Durango. Dealer said it was the condersor?

Now that it is winter my heater does the same thing, no heat @ idle, when I start moving it starts to work.

Any idea what would cause A/C and the heater not to work @ idle?
ciphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
tommychau
AF Regular

Re: Reply to thread: Is good air conditioning absent from Durango?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphyre
I see it's been since Aug that anyone has posted, but I figured I would jump on the band wagon.

I am having the same issue with my 99 Durango. Dealer said it was the condersor?

Now that it is winter my heater does the same thing, no heat @ idle, when I start moving it starts to work.

Any idea what would cause A/C and the heater not to work @ idle?
Sounds like a vacuum problem? Or possibly your actuator that moves the door that directs the air flow?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #11
bljseal
AF Newbie

OK guys, here is the deal... I've had the same problem on my 2003 R/T. Had it into the dealer 5 times and they finally tore the entire dash and heating compartment apart. Told me they found 2 actuators that were not closing all the way. How bad was it? They told me they were open 1/8 to 1/4 inch and that was the problem. Took a week to get the parts. When I got it back...no improvement. So I started working on it myself.

If you can believe it, there is actually a pump in the system that flows hot water to the heater core when you move the temp selector over half way across. Below that point, the pump is off, but hot water is flowing constantly to the heater core which is not shielded from the interior of the car. It's radiant heat is what is heating up the plastic ducting and any air in the interior compartment that flow over it's exposed plastic cover. The only way to get your vehicle cool is to install a shutoff valve in the line. Dodge claims the A/C is functioning properly if it will cool the air coming from the duct to 20 degrees below the incoming air...not a high standard. Getting your system emptied and recharged will probably help, but will not solve the heater core problem. If you want cool....install the valve.
bljseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #12
tommychau
AF Regular

Just and update. It's summer and my Front A/C vents on my 00 Durango R/T is pulling 33 degrees!!! This A/C started to work as it should be after my mechanic changed out my blown heater core. As stated in my eariler post, I am pretty sure this has something to do with the air baffle door not closing right or not aligned right to make it air tight. I was getting 50-55 degrees on max A/C before my heater core blew out. Dealer that checked my vent doors said it was closing good. Now I know they are lying out their teeth. My mechanic said for them to check that, they have to tear down the dash to get to the box to visually know that. It was a 8 hour job tearing down the dash and putting it back together after you change out the heater core.

One advice if anyone has a blown heater core. Buy it from the dealership. Dealership offers a 3/36 part warranty on the core. Core runs around $150 I think. Just make sure you do a visual inspection of the core before you walk out the door with it. Found some cores at the dealership to be not in too good of shape. rust, dings, bents, etc... It was not until the parts guy brought down the 3rd core off the shelf that was in brand new looking shape!!!
Old 07-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #13
detrp
AF Newbie

I have a 99 Durango, live in NJ and my A/C is so cold I have to turn it down, even on the hottest days. I have had the vehicle for 68,000 miles and never noticed any problems.
detrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:16 PM   #14
jeep lover
AF Newbie

My '98 Durango is suffering from the A/C dilemna also. My question is: Does the A/C start out cold, then get progressively worse as the engine warms up, or does it start out blowing semi-cool air? My reasoning says that if the problem stems from the heater core contributing to the problem, then the air should be cold when you first start up. My Durango blows cool sometime, sometime not. It never is cold enough to satisfy us on a hot day. I started a new thread about this this morning, and seriously considering a class action suit. any thoughts?
jeep lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #15
tommychau
AF Regular

Re: Re: Is good air conditioning absent from Durango?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep lover
My '98 Durango is suffering from the A/C dilemna also. My question is: Does the A/C start out cold, then get progressively worse as the engine warms up, or does it start out blowing semi-cool air? My reasoning says that if the problem stems from the heater core contributing to the problem, then the air should be cold when you first start up. My Durango blows cool sometime, sometime not. It never is cold enough to satisfy us on a hot day. I started a new thread about this this morning, and seriously considering a class action suit. any thoughts?
One thing I would check is to make sure your baffle door is sealed good. I guess even on a cool day and your engine being cold, I guess it can still mix your cold air with outside air? Hopefully you know a trusted mechanic that can try to look at this for you without having to go too deep into the system short of taking the dash off.

In the beginning, I wasn't getting the cooling it should have. After the A/C checks out and you can see the return line to the a/c compressor is chilling really good. So the final culprit must be the Air ducting system is poorly designed. In a good way when my heater core went out and my personal mechanic had to tear down the dash and disassemble the heater core/AC core box. When he put the stuff back together, he made sure everything was closing tight and no leaks. Since then, my A/C system is now chilling like it is suppose to. I rarely have to put it past the 2nd notch on the blower speed to keep the interior cold on a hot summer's day.