Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
timd
AF Regular

FlexFuel check engine

2002 3.0L FlexFuel, 40K miles- has been running fine on gas or E85. Have been using mostly gas lately (better miles per $). Filled up with E85 and later got a check engine light. Didn't get it diagnosed. Drove it till I got down to about 1/2 tank, filled with gasoline, removed battery cable to clear code and ran the whole tank without the check engine light coming on. Refilled with E85 and later the check engine light came on again. I just stopped by AutoZone on the way home from work and I got them to check the code. I got 2 codes. P0171 for Bank #1 and P0174 for Bank #2, too lean.
The printout for Bank #1 code says that if both banks set together, suspect fuel pressure or MAF sensor fault.
The printout for Bank #2 code says that if both banks set together, suspect a fuel condition or MAF sensor fault.
I'm thinking since it doesn't give a check engine code on gasoline, I may be getting bad E85. I've only bought it from one place (Kroger's)...or maybe the MAF sensor is just dirty enough that the use of E85 throws the mixture off enough to set the code(s).
Anyone else have a check engine light when running E85?

Last edited by timd; 07-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.
timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
toddler62
AF Regular

Re: FlexFuel check engine

I think i would just run the straight gas
toddler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:16 AM   #3
timd
AF Regular

MAF sensor was dirty. Been running gas predominately since original post but would occasionally get E85. No CEL until yesterday using gas (P0171 & 0174). (135,000 miles now). Short term is at or near zero but Long term is maxed out. I'll reclean the MAF and see what my Long Term is and report back later today. (Dec 13, 2017)
UPDATE: Cleaned MAF sensor and CEL stayed off for about 150 miles. Then CEL and P0171 & P0174 again. Looked for a vacuum leak and finally found it! The hose from the intake manifold to the PCV valve was cracked. When I pushed on it, it broke free (dry/heat rotted). Fixed it with a 1 1/2" piece of hose and all OK. Long Term trims now vary with RPM. BTW, what is the long tube inside the intake manifold that the PCV hose attached to?

Last edited by timd; 12-18-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 12-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
timd
AF Regular

CEL back on!! ARGHHH. OBDII shows P0171 & P0174. During idle, Long Term Trim Bank 1 is at 23; Long Term Trim Bank 2 is at 25 but drops when I increase RPM.

Last edited by timd; 12-28-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: update

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier