Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
moliva1568
AF Regular

seat removal

I can't seem to remove this back seat. I'm guessing there's clips somewhere but I can't figure out which way to go. Any suggestions? It's a 74 pontiac catalina. It's a 6 door conversion but I believe the rear is pretty much stock as opposed to the added middle section

moliva1568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: seat removal

Have you checked the lower front of the seat bottom cushion for bolts or clip areas? Maybe try carefully running your fingers in the area between the carpet and the cushion to see if there are areas where things feel different. If you don't find any bolts in those areas, try pushing back on the cushion there and lifting.

Once you get the lower cushion out you'll probably find a couple of bolts holding a couple of tabs in for the rear seat back. Once you unbolt those you may just need to lift the seat back up and unhook it from the upper edge, or there could be a couple of bolts in the trunk.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
moliva1568
AF Regular

I'll try to have at it this weekend. I'm able to pull the sides back on the top part but I can't see anything back there.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliva1568 View Post
I'll try to have at it this weekend. I'm able to pull the sides back on the top part but I can't see anything back there.
You will find the bottom of the seat cushion, at the front, just above the carpet, has a wire frame inside. You want to push the wire frame backwards in 2 places.... about 10 inches in from the end of the seat, on either side. Push the wire frames back really hard in these 2 places while lifting gently. With some struggling, you will find the seat cushion will lift right out.

Then, if your car is like my old ones, you will find under the cushion, $10 in change, 6 old pens, half a Barbie doll and a dead mouse
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
moliva1568
AF Regular

Thanks for the tip. I've already found years of ashes and cigarette butts so the change would be welcomed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that a mouse is not found. It's bad enough I had to deal with the live ones in the hood of the caprice.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: seat removal

Quote:
I can't seem to remove this back seat. I'm guessing there's clips somewhere but I can't figure out which way to go. Any suggestions? It's a 74 pontiac catalina. It's a 6 door conversion but I believe the rear is pretty much stock as opposed to the added middle section

A six-door conversion?! ! ! You've gotta post a full quarter angle of this car! Somethings' u don't see every day.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
moliva1568
AF Regular

Purchased in Bridgeport

In case they wonder what it is

Last edited by moliva1568; 03-21-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Purchased in Bridgeport

In case they wonder what it is
You don't see those every day Nice ride
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt2Lst View Post
You don't see those every day Nice ride
Thanks 4 posting! What a sight! How'z it handle?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
moliva1568
AF Regular

It handles pretty good. Right now its in need of suspension parts and tires so I've been taking it easy. When I first got I could easily hit 90-100 in no time. I even took it to 75-80 with 12 adults in it once. Doubt I'll do that again.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
It handles pretty good. Right now its in need of suspension parts and tires so I've been taking it easy. When I first got I could easily hit 90-100 in no time. I even took it to 75-80 with 12 adults in it once. Doubt I'll do that again.
Well by handling I hope you don't think I mean how fast it'll do a 1/4mile straight. With regards to steering, I'd bet even a "stock" Bonnie had at least 4 turns lock to lock steering. LOL! Guess you could put in a shorter ratio box and have a shop max the caster out within specs. Either way, some new bushings and that baby'll tighten right up.

Last edited by RidingOnRailz; 03-24-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
MagicRat

Quote:
with 12 adults in it once.
Three were in the trunk?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
moliva1568
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
Well by handling I hope you don't think I mean how fast it'll do a 1/4mile straight. With regards to steering, I'd bet even a "stock" Bonnie had at least 4 turns lock to lock steering. LOL! Guess you could put in a shorter ratio box and have a shop max the caster out within specs. Either way, some new bushings and that baby'll tighten right up.
Didn't think you were referring to speed necessarily, was just throwing it in there. at that size, speed and weight it's still pretty tight. As youll find from posts I may put, I'm still pretty much a novice so some terms you may use or questions/answers I may have will reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Three were in the trunk?
No trunk actually. A couple females with some lapped up. It was a pretty wild night.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
MagicRat

Quote:
No trunk actually. A couple females with some lapped up. It was a pretty wild night.
Way to go.

If I had a 9 seat car, I would load it up with friends and chicks, too.

Wait! I do have an 8-seat full size Chevy van, with plenty of room behind the 3rd row............ lots of room for action......................hmmmm call some friends and fillies for Saturday night..............

oh yes, I also have a wife................ <sigh>
Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Didn't think you were referring to speed necessarily, was just throwing it in there. at that size, speed and weight it's still pretty tight. As youll find from posts I may put, I'm still pretty much a novice so some terms you may use or questions/answers I may have will reflect that.

Sorry! "Lock-to-Lock" means how many times do you have to turn the steering wheel from the left stop to the right stop. Older cars could have over 4 turns, new cars 3.8 turns left to right or less even.

"Caster" = one of two alignment specs that when properly and evenly set(left to right) helps keep the car centered going straight ahead. Car is "tighter" with more Caster or SAI. Of course you might not notice these effects with a 70's Bonnie because the land-barges of her era typically overboosted the power steering to the point there was NO center feel/weight turning left or right. LOL! Too little caster(+ too much power steering, espec. electric) and you're constantly correcting. Drives me koo-koo!