Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 08:55 AM   #1
zerobubble
AF Newbie

Question 97 Civic Ex auto tranny to manual swap

Is it even possible to switch from an automatic to a manual transmision when swapping engines? Does any one know if the tranny mounts are the same and if any thing else needs to be done?
zerobubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 11:18 AM   #2
iroibeirt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to iroibeirt
more work than u think

mmm its a lot more work and cost than just takin out and old engine and tran and putting in a new one.... spending a lot of time at vertex, it seems to me that most engines when bought from factories come with corresponding gear boxes and trannies....that boosts the cost up to about 5000 not including installation....and ...yes it is possible
iroibeirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Quote:
mmm its a lot more work and cost than just takin out and old engine and tran and putting in a new one.... spending a lot of time at vertex, it seems to me that most engines when bought from factories come with corresponding gear boxes and trannies....that boosts the cost up to about 5000 not including installation....and ...yes it is possible
huh? I assume we're talking about switching between trannies that are both options (from the factory) for the same vehicle? The only extra difficulties that come to my mind immediately:

* you'd need to replace your flex plate (auto) with a flywheel
* you'd need to put in the clutch actuation system (pedal, hydraulics/cables, etc)
* you'd need to buy a clutch kit (disc, bearing, pressure plate)

Additional items about which I'm uncertain:
* not sure about how the mounts match up, I expect they're identical, or at least easy to convert
* not sure if the axle shafts are the same, but I'd guess that they are
* not sure what changes to the ECM/PCM wiring would need to be made, if any.

As far as cost goes, these manual trannies seem to go for a couple hundred bucks on ebay...
Old 03-07-2002, 01:58 PM   #4
soul180
AF Enthusiast

i had that done, one of the mounts didn't match up on the tranny. hte surgury took about 25 hours, i got all the parts for free and $15 an hour labour....
Old 03-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #5
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

what about swapping a manual tranny motor into an originally automatic car?........not swapping the tranny and motor.........let's say i have a 97 civic.......ex automatic.......(my future car, sitting in the driveway ready to be swapped and driven (getting my license in 6 months)) anyways.....and i want to drop in a b16, manual......would it be difficult?.......what would the procedure include?

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 02:02 AM   #6
kane2g
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to kane2g
if youre swapping just the tranny it could be done under a 1000 including parts and labor.
If you putting b16 or b18 you will need regular swap parts plus
shifter/pedal assembly and all the hydraulic stuff that comes with having 3pedals.
BTW the mount that you're thinking of is a rear tranny mount which is abailable from honda dealer.