Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical
Technical Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other technical issues here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
mynismo
yada yada yada

Send a message via AIM to mynismo
Rb Swap Faq! Rb Question? Look Here!

RB FAQ's
Q: That's some awesome work you guys are doing with the skyline swaps. I've been considering swapping an RB26DETT into my 97 240sx. Would you guys do the work and for how much? But my important question is what problems may I run into? I want to have the motor and the 4WD tranny. Is it extremely difficult to do such a thing to the 97 240sx (or is it harder than swapping the RB25)? What are some major difficulties when swapping the RB26? Will I have many problems with the motor being in my car due to the swap?
A: First and foremost, it will cost in excess of $15K parts and labor, due to the extensive nature. We can't give get a hard number, are you still interested at that point. Now drop the AWD stuff and the price becomes more manageable, down towards $10K.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I'm interested in an RB25DET install, what kind of final price tag are we talking about? For engine, install, tune, all parts, etc.
A: Ball park figure is $8000 turn key drive it off. We're working out details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Would this only work in RHD Cars? If so, any idea what a RHD conversion would run if we did it all at the same time?
A: The car we did is left hand drive. We are finishing up a RHD conversion on an S13 now. We will confirm pricing soon.

Q: What is the rev limit on the rb20?
A: Right around 8000.

Q: What is the turnaround time?
A: Turn around is 3 weeks.

Q: Which motor is that on the website, is it the R32, R33, or R34?
A: It's the R32.

Q: What is the difference in these motors?
A: Control systems, and outputs.

Q: Is the trans a five or six speed?
A: It's a 5spd RWD.

Q: My question is, is the RB20DET worth the money?
A: Absolutely.

Q: How hard is it to get parts for the RB if something breaks???
A: Not too hard, we are building an inventory of the RB parts, stateside. In addition, things like spark plugs and oil filters do cross-reference with other parts, making them available in the states.

Q: Also, did you guys have to make the new intake for the RB20 that you have pictures of?
A: It was necessary to have a clean install, and simplifies the plumbing when a front-mount intercooler is used. It also makes plug access easier. Before, you were 1.5-2 hours from ever seeing a spark plug, now, 5 minutes. It has been pointed out to me that this is apparently unclear. The manifold is not necessary to do the swap, but we think it is a nice addition. It cuts down on the amount of intercooler piping when used with front mount intercoolers, decreasing turbo lag. It also makes it easier to access the spark plugs.

Q: I have been considering using an Australian outfit to ship me one of these engines.
A: The Australian motors typically have much higher mileage on them than the Japanese motors, due to the differences in how they tax mileage for emissions.

Q: Can you tell me the details about what comes with the RB25DET engine? (5spd tranny, turbo, any electronics, A/F Meter, etc.)
A: We typically won't sell an RB without a whole clip, due to the complications involved in the swap. It is a fabrication required swap.

Q: In the pictures I noticed a custom upper intake manifold for the RB20DET and was wondering if you sold those yet.
A: Not yet, but plans are to make more.

Q: I was wondering what I should do to my 240 in the mean time before I actually get the swap done, because when I have the engine in my car I want the horsepower transferred efficiently to the wheels. Also, some people are telling me that I am crazy for trying to get a 350HP engine into my car because it is too powerful for this light of a car and that I would break my motor mounts. So I was wondering if there was any validity to what they were saying and if there is, what other type of engine would you recommend for my car that is still an RB?
A: Put in an LSD to get the power to the ground. Suspension work is good too. Will break traction before it breaks mounts. Any of the RBs are a good choice for the S13, prices will vary.

Q: If I buy an LSD for my S13 will it fit onto the RB26DETT? Also what is a good exhaust for the RB engine? I was thinking about an Apexi GT Spec or an N1 dual
A: Yes, the LSD will be fine. The N1 dual is what we've used on our RB.

Q: I'm curious about the throttle body that I see in the pictures. Is that a custom made throttle body? What's the problem with using the stock RB20 throttle body?
A: Throttle body is stock, but the intake plenum is custom. The problem with the original is that there is so much crap across the top of the motor, that is take 2 hours to change a spark plug, and that it doesn't lend itself well to a front mount intercooler.

Q: How much would that cost to integrate the whole R33 front clip onto a 95+ 240SX from here?
A: This mod would cost well in excess of $15K to do. A full right hand drive and body work would be a very expensive swap. Probably more than the cost of the car.

Q: What is the shift pattern like if you swap in a RB25DET tranny? Is 1st gear in the RB25DET tranny in the top right where 5th gear is on a left hand driver? Are the trannies in right hand drivers backwards if you install them into a left hand driver? If so, is there any way to switch this? Are there left hand driver RB25DET trannies available from Europe? (I know they have left hand cars in Germany)
A: Trannies are the same as are used here. Shift patterns are the same.

Q: Why is it that everyone is swapping stuff into the S13, but not into the S14?
A: Because you can buy an S13 with an excellent body, but a bad motor for less than $1000, so by the time you start 'thinking' about a swap (money-wise) the S13 has already been upgraded to larger turbo(s) etc. It's all about availability and finances.

Q: Will Nissan 240SX aftermarket exhaust systems bolt right up to the RB25DET setup...or does that require custom piping?
A: We build the downpipes to utilize stock locations.

Q: I've heard that 240SX's have awesome dry handling...but terrible wet handling.
A: Really? Mine loves rain and snow. I'm originally from IN, and take my car up north for Christmas. I LOVE snow in that thing! Never had a problem in rain either.

Q: Have you had a chance to drive your RB20/S13 in wet weather yet?
A: Yes.

Q: Does that engine make wet handling worse?
A: No.

Q: Does the suspension have to be beefed up for the heavier RB?
A: No, the car weighs 2800lbs. on the nose.

Q: Will local US Nissan dealers do engine work on the RB engine?
A: No, they've never heard of it or ever seen one before.

Q: I'm thinking about locating an S15 six speed, what do you think?
A: We're going to recommend against the S15 six-speed for durability reasons. You'd be better off getting one from a Supra or a T56 from a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, or Viper, and modifying the bell housing to work.

Q: I was wondering, since you said installing an RB25 would be straight forward to the RB20, would it matter if its a s14 or are the bays quiet the same?
A: S13 and S14 are similar, but not exactly the same. No detrimental differences for this swap between the two.

Q: I just have a question about the manifold you have fitted up to your 240sx w/ the rb20. Is this an aftermarket companies manifold, or is it a custom fabricated manifold?
A: That is a custom fabricated piece we built.

Q: I was wondering what the weight differences were between all the Silvia engines (s13,s14,s15) vs. all the skyline engines(rb33,rb34),as well as stock engine weight(240sx)?
A: The RB's are about 60lbs heavier than the KA, and the CA and SR are about 40lbs lighter than the K

Q: Can the stock 240sx diff handle the horsepower of the skyline engines?
A: Like all differentials, it depends on how high you want to go. Typically, yes.

Q: After doing your RB engine swap, how did the 240sx handle compared to stock (better, worse, same)?
A: Just like stock.

Q: Did you change the suspension or was the stock suspension adequate to handle day to day driving with the rb engine?
A: Stock suspension was fine. We also tried it with coilovers, and it absolutely dominated the road.

Q: Did you have to upgrade the cooling? Would stock radiators and intercoolers be efficient enough to handle the rb engine's cooling needs?
A: Stock R32 radiator was plenty sufficient. We used a front mount intercooler.

Q: I was wondering if it would be possible to transplant an rb26dett into an S14 chassis, using the rb25 transmission, WITHOUT heavy modification. I have heard that the r33 series rb26dett will fit, could you possible give me some answers, I am seriously considering a swap tot he RB series powerplant. Perhaps you could direct me to where I could find some measurements on this motor.
A: Externally all of the RB's are basically the same. Any of the RB's will fit, but they will all require modifications to make them work

Q: I have a 1994 Nissan Altima and I was thinking about trying to upgrade my engine. Is it possible to fit the Rb style engine into my car? If not is there any other engine, more powerful than the stock, that could fit into an Altima?
A: The RB would have to be an RWD conversion

Q: I wanted to know if it is possible to get an RB20DET engine and have an All Wheel Drive conversion done to a 95 240sx and if it is how much would it cost to have it shipped and installed
A: The price will be at least $10,000 possibly as much as $12,000. The down time would be 2 to 3 months. The cost for shipping your car to us is unknown. Driving it to us, and driving it home would be the best option. You could go for an RB26dett as another option, as it wouldn't be that much more. Also, if you would like the car to be right hand drive it wouldn't be much more work. It would be a bad ass project and we would love to undertake it.

Q: I'm interested in the rb26dett engine swap into a 240sx. How much would it cost me if I provided the front clip? Also, about how long would it take to complete the swap? I'm very interested, and have friends that are also interested.
A: We have previously estimated the cost of the RB26DETT Swap as between $12K and $15K. The price with your engine will be about $4K less, assuming that the full clip is complete. We can't guarantee a motor you don't get from us, of course. We would have to charge extra for any parts that are missing that we need if you don't get it from us, since we can't guarantee that it'll come complete. Since we have never done one and don't have any info on the swap (since nobody else has done one) we can't guarantee any time frame for completion either, because we don't know how much stuff will need to be custom made. It'll probably require a custom exhaust manifold, and will definitely require custom motor mounts, wiring, intercooler piping, etc.

Q: I like the body style of the 95-98 body style for the 240sx, but I am looking for time slips around very low 13's to mid to high twelve's and I also like the idea of a skyline motor, which or what would be the cheapest route to achieve that goal?
A: Cheapest route using a skyline motor?

RB20DET
upgraded turbo
bigger injectors
reprogrammed ECU
LSD

That would get you in to the 12s.

Q: What is the weight of the RB25DET? Or the diff in weight between that and the KA24DE?
A: Roughly 50 to 75lbs

Q: I am interested on the rb25det, and I have some questions. Does the tranny of rb25det fit on the rb26dett for RWD

Q: Do you do the motor swap?

Q: I have a 95 240sx, I would like to put in a skyline engine. Will it be too powerful for a 240sx if i put a skyline engine on it?
A: No.

Q: I have been hearing that the motor bolts right in with no additional parts needed, what is the deal with that?
A: From what we have seen, the R32 crossmembers do bolt in to S13s. We don't like doing this with our installs for many reasons.

1) Most importantly, with the R32 crossmember, the front sway bar doesn't fit without serious modifications to the oil pan. This is a safety concern to us, and safety of our customers is very important.
2) Placement of the engine with the stock crossmember puts the motor too far forward and too high. With the stock crossmember and intake manifold, the hood has to be modified and it is impossible to fit a front strut tower bar. The placement of the engine also makes it difficult to fit a set of fans on the back of the radiator for proper cooling, although a single fan can probably provide the needed cooling capacity. The shifter also sits too far forward.
3) With the stock intake manifold, like we said before, the hood needs to be cut and a strut tower bar doesn't fit. Also, intercooler piping routing is definitely not optimal with a front mount intercooler.

As far as S14s go, we have heard that the R33 crossmember bolts in, but we don't have personal experience so far with how that places the engine. We should know more by the end of March, 2003. Of course, this leaves out the option of using an RB20DET, since the RB20DET wasn't available in R33s, only R31s and R32s.

Q: I was wondering if it's possible to put an RB26DETT in a '90 or newer 300zx.
A: That would be very tight. It would be expensive though, in the $10K range installed.

Q: I am about to start a project this winter, putting a 350 small block Chevy from a corvette into my 240sx. I blew the stock motor and this ultimately will be cheaper. So if you know of any problems with this swap let me know.
A: The oil pan on the Chevy motor is incompatible with the crossmember/ steering rack of the 240SX. Spin around and modify the cross member, using a Thunderbird/Mustang/Pinto steering rack, and swap the spindle assemblies from one side to the other, to make the 'front-steer' rack work. The small block Ford goes in with less fabrication, but it's a Ford! There are other things, such as fuel pressure regulation, or alternative fuel pump requirements with a carburetor motor.

Last edited by mynismo; 07-24-2004 at 06:06 PM.
mynismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:11 PM   #2
DoriftoSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DoriftoSX Send a message via Yahoo to DoriftoSX
this should be a sticky..just rename it to "RB swap FAQ"

NISMO - Nissan Motorsports
HOMO - Honda Motorsports

IMHOIDTWSATFR....Crew # 00

Motherƒű˘l< the police :twoguns:
DoriftoSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
mynismo
yada yada yada

thanks for making this a stcky! this will help out the boards
Old 08-10-2003, 09:38 PM   #4
ShinRekka
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ShinRekka

Q: My question is, is the RB20DET worth the money?
A: Absolutely.

bet they didnt have to think that twice through
Old 08-10-2003, 10:29 PM   #5
Foxnake42
AF Newbie

Do you have to use the tranny from the rb20 motor? I can get a front clip but it is automatic. could you locate a manual and how much?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:07 AM   #6
Saki0
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Saki0
Was a very good read.Thanks.
Saki0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

I was wondering how much an S14 might weigh with an RB26 swapped in. This gives me a good start to getting a ballpark figure. Thanks for posting this!
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #8
mynismo
yada yada yada

i think i will make a modded rb20 auto... hehe

no im too cheap, im just going to find one already swapped in then just upgrade it
Old 08-26-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
slix
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to slix
i live in atlanta, tried for about a week to get a hold of someone at unstable and no1 answered. eventually, i rode on over to conyers to ask about pricing and lets just say you'd be better off goin somewhere else such as xat. The guys knew quite a bit tho, good for a drop by if you live close-nice faq too thx.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:03 AM   #10
silverEL
AF Newbie

hp?

would a sr20det with upgrades, be faster and cheaper than a rb26?
whats the hp of a rb26?

Todd
silverEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:51 PM   #11
Turbo Thoughts
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Turbo Thoughts Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo Thoughts
Man... first things first.

Do your homework.

Reasons to not aim for an RB26DETT:
-The reason RB26DETTs dont drop easily is cause their oil pan is designed to also serve as the front half of the front differential casing.
-ussually buying clips is the most efficient way of getting everything you need for a swap. With all the parts you wont be able to use in an car with an RD26, You'll have to buy one RB26 clip AND an RB25 clip, for the trans, shift linkage, crossmember, and other stuff.
-The RB26 has more piping to rework.. lots of custom stuff... Unless you have the 10K+ to just pull out of your pocket and fork over to a shop and don't mind loosing your car for a few months, you're set.

solutions for those dedicated to an RB26DETT:
-Buy a RB25DET oil pan to replace the 26's differential casing/oil pan
-Source JUST a RB26DETT engine...
-Use an RB25DET clip with a blown motor for the tranny, crossmember and other misc parts.

SUPER SMART EASY ALTERNATIVES (most likely for the uninformed):
-DO AN RB25DET SWAP INSTEAD.
-All you need is the RWD RB25DET clip.. everything you need is included.
-Nearly as good as the 26, it has like 260HP
-the only custom parts NEEDEDis possibly the downpipe, and driveshaft.
-The only highly reccomended part for the COMPLETE swap would be a custom crossmember.
-Its MUCH CHEAPER, ITS NEARLY JUST AS GOOD
Turbo Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:07 PM   #12
One-LineDrifter
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to One-LineDrifter Send a message via MSN to One-LineDrifter Send a message via Yahoo to One-LineDrifter
Re: RB SWAP FAQ FROM UNSTABLE! RB QUESTION? LOOK HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynismo

Q: What is the rev limit on the rb20?
A: Right around 8000.

what about for teh RB25????? ne1 no?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
if nissan motorsports= NISMO
then does honda motorsports=HOMO

"I pitty fools who drives automatic"
One-LineDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #13
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to musicsurfman Send a message via MSN to musicsurfman
Re: Re: RB SWAP FAQ FROM UNSTABLE! RB QUESTION? LOOK HERE!

THE RB25 REVS TO ABOUT 6500 OR 6800 STOCK IIRC. BUT CAN WITHSTAND 7200 - 7500. THIS FORUM NEEDS QUITE A BIT MORE INFO ON THESE SWAPS AS YOU GUYS HONESTLY HAVE NO CLUE. I RECOMMEND CHECKING INTO THE NICO RB FORUMS (WWW.NISSANINFINITICLUB.COM) THERE YOU'LL FIND ME (PROJECTRB240SX) AND VARIOUS OTHER KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE TO HELP YOU ALL OUT ON THIS SUBJECT IF ANY OF YOU ARE SERIOUS. ALL THESE SWAPS ARE RELATIVELY EASY AND HONESTLY THOSE GUYS AT UH ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS, THEY HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THESE DONE AND THEY WAY OVER CHARGE. ANYWAY THATS MY OPINIONS AND MY TRYING TO SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT FOR YOU ALL.

ANYTHING YOU NEED COME STOP BY NICO, I'LL HELP YOU ALL OUT.

CHRISTIAN
musicsurfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:41 AM   #14
One-LineDrifter
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to One-LineDrifter Send a message via MSN to One-LineDrifter Send a message via Yahoo to One-LineDrifter
Re: Re: Re: RB SWAP FAQ FROM UNSTABLE! RB QUESTION? LOOK HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsurfman
THE RB25 REVS TO ABOUT 6500 OR 6800 STOCK IIRC. BUT CAN WITHSTAND 7200 - 7500. THIS FORUM NEEDS QUITE A BIT MORE INFO ON THESE SWAPS AS YOU GUYS HONESTLY HAVE NO CLUE. I RECOMMEND CHECKING INTO THE NICO RB FORUMS (WWW.NISSANINFINITICLUB.COM) THERE YOU'LL FIND ME (PROJECTRB240SX) AND VARIOUS OTHER KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE TO HELP YOU ALL OUT ON THIS SUBJECT IF ANY OF YOU ARE SERIOUS. ALL THESE SWAPS ARE RELATIVELY EASY AND HONESTLY THOSE GUYS AT UH ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS, THEY HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THESE DONE AND THEY WAY OVER CHARGE. ANYWAY THATS MY OPINIONS AND MY TRYING TO SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT FOR YOU ALL.

ANYTHING YOU NEED COME STOP BY NICO, I'LL HELP YOU ALL OUT.

CHRISTIAN
thanx for the help
if nissan motorsports= NISMO
then does honda motorsports=HOMO

"I pitty fools who drives automatic"
One-LineDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:59 AM   #15
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to musicsurfman Send a message via MSN to musicsurfman
Re: Re: Re: Re: RB SWAP FAQ FROM UNSTABLE! RB QUESTION? LOOK HERE!

No Problem, Thats The Point Of A Forum. But Don't Tell Anyone That.
musicsurfman is offline   Reply With Quote