Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 09:50 AM   #106
HellBent
AF Regular

Nahmed,

I am not sure of the duties and legalities with shipping auto parts from Japan to the US. That is something you would have to do the research on. I believe there are restrictions and duties to be paid, otherwise the parts get confiscated.

As for the insurance; I know it is possible, I would just hate to have any damage on a $60k - $80k car. It is just an altogether different experience. I wouldn't want the aggervation of having to repair or eventually resell an expensive car with body damage or paint mismatches. People are real picky when it comes to buying high priced cars, and rightly so!

Al
Old 11-06-2002, 07:49 AM   #107
nahmed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to nahmed
No, not these particular car. The technology for matching paint has improved. Reselling a GTR 32-34 or 35 in this country is not going to be an issue. First the ones interested in this car are Nissan fans and who love the Skyline. The average joe won't even know what it is, and when they see a right-hand drive car will shrug away. Besides if no one buys your car, I'll buy your car, as long as you don't ram it into anything. Insurance is going to be kind of expensive, but since you can afford to buy a C5, i'm guessing you can afford to pay to have a rear car.

As for the shipping of parts, all that you're going to do is pack it up, call FedEx and ship it to the US. Government won't know anything about it because FedEx isn't a government entity. Also, induvidual parts can be shipped to the US without govenrment intervention since they are just parts. Do you think Lexus, BMW and the other foreign manufacturers pay duty on thier parts from Japan and Germany. Hell no. I know this because a couple of my friends have sent me parts from Germany and England. There are others in this country that do the same all the time. if you still don't want to do it, it's ok; it was just a thought.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #108
HellBent
AF Regular

Nahmed,

In regards to the paint question, it is still difficult to match paint for many reasons. Just look on the Corvette forum of how many people have had nightmares matching paint. When you are talking about enthusiasts buying a $50k - $80k car, they tend to be a bit more picky! Trust me, I just sold my 2001 C5 and it is just a different kind of buyer. Heck, you should have seen me when I picked it up. The dealer did a horrible job prepping the car, and I ended up filing a BBB complaint against them for their abyssmal service, but that is another story...

As for auto parts, anything mailed back from Japan to the USA or even into Japan from the USA must have a customs lable attached. They routinely search packages and if the contents don't match the lable, the shipper is in hot water. The government always makes life more complicated than it needs to be.

Al
Old 11-06-2002, 03:03 PM   #109
HellBent
AF Regular

Customs Regulations on duties for mailed goods

U.S. Mail Shipments
Shipping through the U.S. mail, including parcel post, is a cost-efficient way to send things to the United States. The Postal Service sends all foreign mail shipments to Customs for examination. Customs then returns packages that don't require duty to the Postal Service, which sends them to a local post office for delivery. The local post office delivers them without charging any additional postage, handling costs, or other fees.

If the package does require payment of duty, Customs attaches a form called a mail entry (form CF-3419A), which shows how much duty is owed, and charges a $5 processing fee as well. When the post office delivers the package, it will also charge a handling fee.

Commercial goods - goods intended for resale - may have special entry requirements. Such goods may require a formal entry in order to be admitted into the United States. Formal entries are more complicated and require more paperwork than informal entries. (Informal entries are, generally speaking, personal packages worth less than $2,000.) Customs employees may not prepare formal entries for you; only you or a licensed customs broker may prepare one. For more information on this subject, please request the Customs pamphlet U.S. Import Requirements or contact your local Customs office.

If you believe you have been charged an incorrect amount of duty on a package mailed from abroad, you may file a protest with Customs. You can do this in one of two ways. You can accept the package, pay the duty, and write a letter explaining why you think the amount was incorrect. You should include with your letter the yellow copy of the mail entry (CF-3419A). Send the letter and the form to the Customs office that issued the mail entry, which you'll find on the lower left-hand corner of the form.

The other way to protest duty is to refuse delivery of the package and, within five days, send your protest letter to the post office where the package is being held. The post office will forward your letter to Customs and will hold your package until the protest is resolved.

For additional information on international mailing, please ask Customs for the pamphlet International Mail Imports, or visit our Web site at www.customs.gov.

Express Shipments
Packages may be sent to the United States by private-sector courier or delivery service from anywhere in the world. The express company usually takes care of clearing your merchandise through Customs and charges a fee for its service. Some travelers have found this fee to be higher than they expected.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:54 AM   #110
nahmed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to nahmed
never mind
Old 05-02-2003, 03:24 AM   #111
Goblin
AF Regular

its a nice car....shit if i had 30,000 i would get rid of my accord and buy one for shure....my bro currently just bought a 91 300zx TT, and it is hella nice so i am expecting big things from this car in the future
Blow off valves

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe