Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
snazzy44
AF Newbie

Question Sticking Thermostat?

I have a 96 Acura RL and about 3 weeks ago I had the thermostat replaced and coolant flushed. I could have done this myself but I was way to busy with other things to mess with it.

Yesterday, I noticed the temperature gauge would indicate the car was running warmer than normal and then after a bit it would go back to normal and then it would run warmer and so on. It never got too hot just hotter than normal. I checked under the hood to see if I could find anything such a leaking hose or anything obvious. Nothing, although I did smell a bit of antifreeze. I made a note to call the auto shop that replaced the thermostat if it continued.

Well, this morning on the way to work it was doing the same thing. Only this time I got stuck on the interstate between exits due to a wreck and icy weather. I watch the temperature gauge slowly bounce around hot, normal, hotter, normal, hotter, hot, hotter, hot, Ohh crap!! Luckily, I was able to get off of the highway about this time. However, as I was pulling into a gas station the upper radiator hose gave way in a glorious plume of billowing steam.

The mechanic at the shop says that the problem is that the radiator hose is old had a hole in it to begin with and was leaking coolant and that is what caused the problem as it could not have been the thermostat they installed. To my admittedly limited understanding, a sticky thermostat would be the most likely cause as the hole was definitely not there last night and the hole that is in the hose now is right on top and easily viewable.

What do you guys think?
snazzy44 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL