Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > TR6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Fonzie544
AF Newbie

Car comming out of 8 year storage

Hey everyone!

Im a newbie! 19 years old and im really big into hondas! Earlier this year my girlfriends dad asked me to get his triumph tr6 working for him that has been sitting in his barn the past 8-10years really dusty tires flat etc. My dad and i did alot of work on our spitfire when we had it 5 years ago but now dads onto bigger and better things (06 Corvette Z06). So i started working on it last summer. Got the tires replaced so its actaully jackable spark plugs replaced, new battery, new intake filters etc. I took the rocker shaft off and took it to my work (local subaru,buick,pontiac dealership) and put it in the parts washer (due to the fact of when i got it started the head of the motor wasnt getting oil) but it still doesnt spit out any oil on the rocker shaft.... now it might be that i havent changed the oil yet and that its lost all its vescosity....

Any suggestions on what i do?
also the brakes are rusted and im thinking about replacing them anything else i should look for or do before i do that?

LET ME KNOW GUYS!
THANKS!
Fonzie544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
my89rx7gtu
AF Newbie

Re: Car comming out of 8 year storage

So is this car in pretty good condition? Did it start easy?
Not sure about the oil prob. But defiantly change it.
The rusty brakes, as far as the rotors go you can get rid of the rust just by driving on them or you can sand them down etc.

-----------------
'74 TR6, Red, Weber carbs, upgraded ign. components.
Poor condition, been sitting for about 5 years, doesn't run now, ran 5 years ago, convert top and windshield smashed by a tree. I miss driving it.
Current Project-car. Plans: 1. get it running, 2. aux. BP & SP. and more mods.
my89rx7gtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
wolf9304
AF Newbie

well i do know that before you started it you shouldve turned it by hand first but if you got it running thats good yes change your oil but before you do check your oil pump first it might be clogged it might be as simple as cleaning it and not cost u any money except for a new oil pan gasket after you clean it it should move freely if it doesnt then replace it if you do this and it still isnt working then you might have to check the ports ps before you do any of this you can probably try and do an engine flush first if that works then u just saved your self a whole bunch of money and time lol
wolf9304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
KimMG
AF - Advisor

Here's a good check list
http://www.theautoist.com/awakening_a_sleeping_b.htm
You'll find Tony Barnhill at http://www.britishcarforum.com

Dan Masters has some good wiring diagrams
http://www.advanceautowire.com click on stock schematics
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
diepolder5
AF Newbie

you need to change the oil for sure and when done you might want to add some rislone to it and run it for awhile and then change the oil again. Aleays change the filter at the same time. What it wiil do for you is clean a lot of the junk from sitting. And i would change all fluids before you move it as well. Rebuilding the brakes no big deal as there are tons of places to get complete brake kits from. Also check all the rubber hoses in the brake cooling and clutch system for dry rot. And if you should run across another car thats been sitting you might want to crank the engine by hand so as to not do any damage to it. There are a few things i do to an engine that has been sitting for awhile like i remove the plugs and shoot wd40 in all the cyl. and then if my oil pump is tied to the distributator i pull it and crank the pump to move oil through the system before cranking. Have fun these things are a blast to drive.
diepolder5 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > TR6